What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graomogolensis questions

229eb4c426063b57763c21e4e3388fd1.jpg

So it appears a leaf is about to open up on the one I really thought I've lost. But the same thing is happening to the one I was for sure I saved.

ec8f30f51ff9f2a00117153631d15297.jpg

Let me know what you all think. Leave the dead stuff on the first plant. And just let the 2nd keep growing as is right?

Chris

I would leave the dead stuff. You risk damaging the new growth

I would leave the dead stuff. You risk damaging the new growth

True I wouldn't wanna damage any new growth. I'm excited to see what is gonna pop up right next too the really well recovered one. I don't think I've seen anywhere about anyone's plants popping up two growths right on top of each other. Unless I've created some mutation.

I don't think I've seen anywhere about anyone's plants popping up two growths right on top of each other. Unless I've created some mutation.

Sundews will sometimes do this if the original crown is badly damaged but the meristem tissue inside is intact. I have occasionally cut off the main crown on stem-forming species, rooted that and had the roots form multiple new crowns. I don't recommend this unless you are willing to possibly lose the whole plant.

Last edited:
Sundews will sometimes do this if the original crown is badly damaged but the meristem tissue inside is intact. I have occasionally cut off the main crown on stem-forming species, rooted that and had the roots form multiple new crowns. I don't recommend this unless you are willing to possibly lose the whole plant.

Great info bluemax, I think I'll leave it be and let it continue what growth it's doing on both plants. So I guess my healthiest one will have two crowns. The other one I thought I lost will grow back. That's cool.

Chris

here's mine

when i first go it

and now

Last edited:
I've had it for nine month but i don't know the age of the plant.

[MENTION=11211]ps3isawesome[/MENTION] - Sweet looking grao!

I've had it for nine month but i don't know the age of the plant.

Looks like it might be about a year old or more when you got it. Really looks better now compared to when you got it. Hope my plant comes out as beautiful.

So I don't know what's going on but it seems like every leaf is starting to grow new plants. I can grab a photo of this a bit later when I get the chance.

So I don't know what's going on but it seems like every leaf is starting to grow new plants. I can grab a photo of this a bit later when I get the chance.

At a guess, I would say that your conditions are wetter than optimal on the surface of your growing medium. While it may be desirable to have more plants (yay!) the conditions needed to cause them to form may also cause rotting of the crown of the plant. Can you cut back on the amount of water to the top of your pot?

Last edited:
At a guess, I would say that your conditions are wetter than optimal on the surface of your growing medium. While it may be desirable to have more plants (yay!) the conditions needed to cause them to form may also cause rotting of the crown of the plant. Can you cut back on the amount of water to the top of your pot?

I did remove the sphagnum top dressing a bit ago. But I can show you exactly what I mean by new growth. It's not even coming off the side in the soil. Just grown where the dew tentacles use to be on old leaves. Gonna post a photo in a bit here.

It's not even coming off the side in the soil. Just grown where the dew tentacles use to be on old leaves. Gonna post a photo in a bit here.

That would confirm mark's assumption. It's wet enough around the plant that the leaves are producing plantlets, like how a leaf cutting would (though I was not aware that this could occur while the leaf was still attached to the plant!)

That would confirm mark's assumption. It's wet enough around the plant that the leaves are producing plantlets, like how a leaf cutting would (though I was not aware that this could occur while the leaf was still attached to the plant!)

Okay here we go.

34005fa0f559aff5b0e2f502467c2850.jpg
a8a92b451559b4a28972d83813dbd0e7.jpg
cb17b67ed8974ee3e319e42c7f88c7b8.jpg

You can see the new growth on the leaves at the base of the plants. Looking like nodules but turn into new sprouts I've been observing because in first pic you can see one already opening. Crown looks fine to me.

Adding a better picture of the new growth on leaves. Should be better to see in this photo.

954485e222f19330e1f5fd064e01fbae.jpg

I'm counting over 20 of these popping up all over the leaves.

I'm counting over 20 of these popping up all over the leaves.

They are visible on the first photos as well when viewed at full resolution. I stick to my original assessment. It might be a bit of a balance to dry out the top of the soil some and still allow the new sprouts to develop. Perhaps if you do it very slowly you can pull it off. I would err to the side of the original plant if it was me, though. This seems to need it drier but the new nubs of growth with need it on the wetter side to develop. Even if you maintain the moisture level where it's been you will need to decrease it at some point when the little ones have formed complete root systems.

I wish you success.:)

Last edited:
They are visible on the first photos as well when viewed at full resolution. I stick to my original assessment. It might be a bit of a balance to dry out the top of the soil some and still allow the new sprouts to develop. Perhaps if you do it very slowly you can pull it off. I would err to the side of the original plant if it was me, though. This seems to need it drier but the new nubs of growth with need it on the wetter side to develop. Even if you maintain the moisture level where it's been you will need to decrease it at some point when the little ones have formed complete root systems.

I wish you success.:)

Then it was most likely the sphagnum top dressing then. I removed this a few days ago and noticed these. Don't think any new ones so far and I'm unsure if the sprouts even have their own root system yet or if they are using the original mother plant still. This all probably happened because the crown was stressed and when recovering it the conditions where more then perfect. Growing sprouts out the leaves where the dew tentacles once where. But the crown recovered and now I'm left with sprouts and the original plant. Maybe later one when they have a few more growth on them I can examine them further to see if they have their own roots to divide them. I sure don't wanna risk loosing them right now. Would this be considered clones at this point?

Chris

Back