What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a heating pad a good idea?

masonix

Mr Masonix
I bought a light today, and they included a 20 watt heating pad.

Do you think it's a good idea to use it?
I placed it below two of my housings and they are supposed to warm the terra to around 29 degrees Celsius.

Mostly Drosera seeds but also one flytrap.

d5538c377c0b5e5aa886c8a1304809c0.jpg

b061e1b4d02cf9783bc3f68c0fc979d2.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Slightly off topic but you do seem to be scattering a lot of light around where it is wasted. Can't you rig up some sort of reflector?

61e262a4ce50ad44c7aebe3274e83791.jpg

This is the light from another angle, it's a good led ramp with a spread of around 30 degrees.

Do you think i should try to get it even closer?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

That shadow on the wall is a lot more than 30 degrees. You could put white / reflective surfaces back there to bounce the light off and on the sides

Last edited:
@ Masonix, what were the temperatures before putting the heating pad underneath? I agree with Fred that you could be a lot more efficient with the light by adding some reflective surfaces around your containers, but with the temps already at 27C (80F for us Americans), increasing the light intensity too much might also raise the temperatures even futher. You'll also probably want to start letting those pots breathe a little. 99% RH in 80-degree air is a lot of moisture.

Last edited:
Umm, they're leds Zath

Shouldn't that venus fly trap be in dormancy and not in a terrarium?

I don't think you need a heat pad, the temp buildup from the light is certainly enough :).

@ Masonix, what were the temperatures before putting the heating pad underneath? I agree with Fred that you could be a lot more efficient with the light by adding some reflective surfaces around your containers, but with the temps already at 27C (80F for us Americans), increasing the light intensity too much might also raise the temperatures even futher. You'll also probably want to start letting those pots breathe a little. 99% RH in 80-degree air is a lot of moisture.

The temperature before heatpad was 24.8 °C, after the heapad has built up heat it stopped around 29 °C

I've opened up the holes on top of the terrarium so it will hopefully lower the moisture a bit! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you need a heat pad, the temp buildup from the light is certainly enough :).

The LED lightning hardly produce any heat at all actually, when i hold it, it's like colder than my hand.

81e0369c6f926ec49c995fe8ac4f1e9b.jpg

Is this better? 25 degrees with heatpad and around 77% moist

Last edited:
Back