What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata dormancy.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Hey all, I have been reading about d. Binata. I like them, but I've seen photos of specimens the size of a small bush and I do not have room for a sundew the size of a small bush in my house during winter. Is it possible that during winter I could trim the sundew down to its hibernaculum and store it in my fridge until spring? Thanks.

Not all D. binata complex plants readily go dormant, so you would want one that does (typically D. dichotoma, Tasmanian or New Zealand binata forms etc.). And, they don't always like to go dormant; most of my plants typically try to insist on growing year round. They can be "controlled" by being subject to very cool temperatures after they've gone dormant, but may try to wake up and produce lanky leaves anyway.
Better option would be to get a smaller binata form, like the T-form binatas, which won't get big enough to worry about and can be propagated as you wish to reach a wanted clump size.

My D. dichotoma went dormant when the weather cooled down enough last fall. It died all the way back to the ground without a hibernaculum as I understand is common with this complex. My 'Marston Dragon' on the other hand stubbornly kept trying to grow and slowly faded in the garage over the winter, but started growing normally again at the same time as the dichotoma a couple weeks ago. Definitely stick with the more temperate-leaning varieties as hcarlton indicated.

Thanks, I'll go with one of the smaller forms and grow it year round. Also, this is completely off topic, but can you see my signature? I just added it and I can't see it on any of my posts. It shows up in my profile though. Thanks.

There is also binata "Dwarf Red" which I believe can be grown inside or out year round. They don't get as tall as the other varieties. I don't think these require a dormancy, but will die back to the soil if exposed to frost or freezing temps outside in winter and come back from the roots in spring. I had some growing in the old bog and they came back year after year in the PNW, but I have not tried growing them inside. They will germinate from seed with or without cold stratification.

Thanks, I'll go with one of the smaller forms and grow it year round. Also, this is completely off topic, but can you see my signature? I just added it and I can't see it on any of my posts. It shows up in my profile though. Thanks.

You need to see if the checkbox below the reply boxes is checked for "show my signature"

Also off topic: the snake in your profile pic, T+ tiger retic?

Last edited:
You need to see if the checkbox below the reply boxes is checked for "show my signature"

Also off topic: the snake in your profile pic, T+ tiger retic?
Thanks, it has started showing up. I'm not totally sure what morph that snake is. I just google imaged reticulated python and picked the one I liked, I suspect it to be a tiger of some type though.

Ok, I just logged out and my signature showed up in my last post, but not in my others, do signatures show up on posts made on the mobile site? I like to use my tablet on here and most of my posts are made on there.

Last edited:
Thanks, it has started showing up. I'm not totally sure what morph that snake is. I just google imaged reticulated python and picked the one I liked, I suspect it to be a tiger of some type though.

Some people may be sensitive to use of their images without acknowledgement, so I would be careful simply pulling pictures off the internet; I doubt it will be a high issue as it's not trying to use it to sell something, but caution advised.

Hi,

I have got two D. binata var, dichotoma 'Giant Type'. One growing outside in the sun covered with some shade netting and another in my house under 6x t8 lights.

The one outside is dormant most of the year and only grows for me during spring and goes dormant in summer until next spring, not sure if it's the heat outside that causes it to go dormant but it has always followed this dormancy pattern.
The one growing under lights has not gone dormant yet but It might still when I start reducing the photo-period in my grow rack. This is a plant grown from leave cuttings from the one growing outside and is not as large yet and still fits in the grow rack for now.

I had a chat to another grower in my area and she has got the exact same species growing outside and her's also goes dormant in summer and only grows during spring.

Last edited:
How hot does it get there in South Africa during the summer? I certainly don't experience summer dormancy with my dichotoma, despite several 100+F days last summer.

I have way more D. binata "dwarf red" than I know what to do with and will be giving some away over the summer, fyi.

How hot does it get there in South Africa during the summer? I certainly don't experience summer dormancy with my dichotoma, despite several 100+F days last summer.

Hi,

We had a couple of heat-waves this summer where the temps would go up to and over 104F. I have got a few other species of Binata which include small T form and Multifida but they don't go dormant as quickly or as often as the dichotoma giant.

Last edited:
Back