What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First crop of Drosera (adelae I think) seeds, how long do they take to mature?

Just wondering how long from when flowers open to when the petals drop, how much time will pass before the seed (if any) is viable?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Make that how long for the seed to mature after petal drop...

From this website "The plants apparently DO produce viable seed if manually self-pollinated, but seed production tends to be limited this way. Better seed production has been reported from growers who cross-pollinate two genetically different Drosera adelae plants. I haven't been able to feed mine long enough to make them to flower."

Drosera adelae is essentially sterile. Don't really know about how long until the seed is mature, if you even get any.

Generally D. adelae is thought to be self-sterile, and if not, then extremely difficult to actually make produce seeds; their main method of reproduction after all is stolonic growth from the roots, and when they do flower even manual pollination is difficult (tried it the one time I got a flower, nothing resulted). I never saw the petals actually fall off, just brown along with the rest of the flower head after each one was spent. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting seeds from this plant.

(tried it the one time I got a flower, nothing resulted). I never saw the petals actually fall off, just brown along with the rest of the flower head after each one was spent.

Wait, you've only gotten a flower once? I'll send you some of mine if you want to see if it's dependent on the particular plant. My adelae seem to grow two stalks a year around this time, and they keep blooming down the spike until early December. I also saw the same thing with the flowers never falling off. I pulled the old spikes off today because they were looking bad with the new ones, but I think they would have stayed on until they rotted away if I hadn't.

Well shucks. It looks pretty cool anyway. I would put up a pic but the Photobucket thing is too time consuming. I once tried (as a green member) to post a pic directly and it did not work for me. I sent out a query about how to do so and got no replies. But if you give me a head's up, I would appreciate it!

Wait, you've only gotten a flower once? I'll send you some of mine if you want to see if it's dependent on the particular plant. My adelae seem to grow two stalks a year around this time, and they keep blooming down the spike until early December. I also saw the same thing with the flowers never falling off. I pulled the old spikes off today because they were looking bad with the new ones, but I think they would have stayed on until they rotted away if I hadn't.

If it's a different clone it may well be dependent on that, or could be conditional. Perhaps worth a try though.

They look like standard Adelae to me.

Back