What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis white petioles

Capensis comes from a place where temperatures can drop to freezing on occasion, or soar into the 100's F; humidity, temperatures, lighting levels etc. are not an issue for this species if it has a chance to acclimate to whatever conditions. This looks like the plant is sunburned on the leaves that are used to lower light levels, possibly the leaves even drying out and thereby losing all their chlorophyll. The new, acclimated leaves will be fine so long as the plant is left in one place. With the additional complication of recent repotting, it may have accelerated the issue which is why it looks a bit odd to the rest of us, and the plant needs time to regrow all its necessary root hairs.

Maybe it is just shock. When should the shock wear off.

I Keep three of my capensis indoor by a east-facing windowI the humidity is about 60%I and they are fine. the rest of my capensis are all Kept outside with humidity usually lower than 20% . Also indoor temp is about 24 C while out door can reach 30 C or even higher. I would suggest maybe pulling it out and check the condition of its root. Capensis is pretty tough,so they will grow back once conditions are okay unless it's some sort of disease.

Maybe it is just shock. When should the shock wear off.

If you leave it alone and in one place, it should recover within a couple weeks. You should notice an improvement in the next leaves, if it truly is just shock. Moving it in and out constantly will only prolong the issue, though.

And your sphagnum moss looks pretty dry to me. Plus my capensis grow better in peat moss/perlite.

The dews are always soaked on the tray method, so it can't be too little water. I'll have to remember to use peat next time I re-pot, for now I'm not gonna disturb their roots. I think it is shock, they were fine for the first week or two. Then they went from a cool windowsill with mottled sunlight to a yard with drying sun and temps into the 80's.

Last edited:
And your sphagnum moss looks pretty dry to me. Plus my capensis grow better in peat moss/perlite.

IME, capensis does quite well in sphag. I actually got far better germination and growth on those I have in sphag vs those in peat/chicken grit. (Personally, don't care for perlite.)

In any event, if it is just shock, than Zath is quite right -- moving them around is just going to make it harder for them to adjust because the conditions keep changing.

Well, spring has now become permanent here, so those guys are not moving ONE INCH. They caught a few gnats too and the new leaves look good.

Back