What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis white petioles

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I have three drosera capensis giant and their petioles have turned a ghostly white from the base up. Is this a sign of disease? Thanks.

Also, that's not a capensis :/ sorry

[MENTION=10183]Acro[/MENTION], that's what lead me to the photo, I had already read the article trying to figure out what was up with my dews. Thanks though.

[MENTION=11262]SFLguy[/MENTION], I know that's not a capensis, but I don't yet know how to post photos (I intend to learn how today), so I put up that photo because It had very similar symptoms. I hope that clears things up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I can't speak to a plant that isn't yours. Despite that your capensis may look similar, it could be an entirely different issue. Let us know when you're able to put pics up. I recommend a photobucket account, which contains IMG tags that you can paste at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:
Imgur is a very easy to use site as well and will provide IMG tagged links like Photobucket.

Or Flickr; in any case, all of these sites have image links meant to be used to paste into forums etc.
There are indeed several reasons a plant could produce discolored petioles; heat stress, nutrient imbalances, possibly even pests of one form or another.

Ok, after long await, here are the photos. (please work)

What are your temps, humidity and lighting conditions? Also, how long have you had that plant, and how long has it been potted in its current media? Has it been repotted recently?

Last edited:
I've seen heat-stress in my own capensis, but they've never blanched white like that. Going out on a limb and thinking it might be a nutrient deficiency? Possibly phosphorous or magnesium? Looks like one of the leaves still has dew, with a new leaf that will be unfurling shortly. I would simply try giving it a good meal. :/

Last edited:
What are your temps, humidity and lighting conditions? Also, how long have you had that plant, and how long has it been potted in its current media? Has it been repotted recently?
I've only had it for a week or two and they came in bare root so the media's fresh. It's been coming inside and outside a lot lately because the temps have been fluctuating outside lately, it's nice and humid outside but it's probably more like 40-50% inside.

Obviously it's just me staring at a picture, but I'm gonna second Zath that this plant is probably starving to death and needs feeding. That is not a plant someone should've sent you if it looked like that 2 weeks ago!! Unless a freebie, of course.

Another guess would be that the original grower kept it in a much cooler/shadier/more humid environment, and so if you have put it into a brighter/warmer/less humid environment, you may be burning the old foliage but growing healthy, strong new foliage. That's why the meristem in the center is green--good sign. We want to keep the growth that way.

Last edited:
the plant was perfectly healthy when it arrived. What do you suggest feeding it with? I've heard of powdered milk being used to feed sundews.

I've only had it for a week or two and they came in bare root so the media's fresh. It's been coming inside and outside a lot lately because the temps have been fluctuating outside lately, it's nice and humid outside but it's probably more like 40-50% inside.

Capensis can handle burning temps with little humidity. I've kept mine outside in full sun during 90+ Fahrenheit weather.

You may just be stressing the plant out by moving it constantly. Leave it in one spot and it will be fine. D. capensis does not care about humidity.

My entire collection was subjected to 35% humidity for two days and everything looks fine, even the plants that are supposed to require higher humidity, like Heliamphora and a couple South American CPs.

Surprised they are doing this.

As the original grower in question (and as the OP comfirmed), I can assure they did not go out that way. This is how they looked before being unpotted:

If anything, his humidity levels are a huge step up from mine. My winter RH has been around 15%. I do not grow capensis in terrs as they have never shown any problems dealing with my low RH.

Over the summer, I grow capensis outside in full sun. But for the wintertime, they grow under fluorescent lights approx 2" away from the tubes. The lighting is strong enough to bloom Cattleya and to cause pings to color up.

I do not feed frequently over the winter.

Temps over the winter were typically in the low to mid 70s F.

It was more like high 60's in my basement (only free space) and it was probably cooler in the windowsill. It's warmer now though, and I've let them stay out over night in the mid 50's to high 40's. Could it be cold shock?

Back