What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seedlings

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Last year I threw a handful of untreated/unscarified Drosophyllum seed under the mass of dead leaves from a droso plant that had expired the year before and then I torched the whole thing. I left the pot sit outside and this spring this is what popped up in that pot. I don't know if the smoke/heat from the fire helped with germination or not as I have had other untreated droso seed sprout after being left outside through winter, but never had this many sprout at once without any treatment.

26873071281_3278611586_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_5612.jpgx1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

26941143065_96c049b3da_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_5607.jpgx1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

26941142955_bd73bcbc77_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_5615.jpgx1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's something I wish I'd see, but alas my seeds are being slow.

Like other seeds that often sprout with scarification, Drosophyllum is fire-adapted. In the wild, the adult plants don't survive the occasional fires but seeds will germinate rapidly after a burn.

Did you water the pot at all before the seeds germinated?

To Tanukimo:

The pot was ignored and nearly forgotten, so no I did not water it. It was left out in the elements of our PNW weather; snowed on, iced on, and got rained on a lot. Then I walked by it one day in early spring, saw the sprouts and said "holy crap, I should do this again with another pot that needs torching."

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Are you going to transplant them?

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Are you going to transplant them?

Probably not, I will just let them fill the pot. I have limited space to overwinter Droso pots so can't generate too many of them, but that will change hopefully next year. I have trouble finding good local homes for the babies when I have too many in separate pots, and shipping them is a crap shoot whether they survive USPS handling or not.

Pretty cool. I just had some seeds arrive in the mail today. I think I'll try torching a few.

I just scarified and put seeds in water for a day. I now have 5 of them in individual pots, covered, with a relatively high water table, hoping to achieve germination and avoid damp-off.

I just scarified and put seeds in water for a day. I now have 5 of them in individual pots, covered, with a relatively high water table, hoping to achieve germination and avoid damp-off.

I wish you good luck with your seeds and will be sending good thoughts your way :)

Pretty cool. I just had some seeds arrive in the mail today. I think I'll try torching a few.

I have heard some people have had success putting dried leaves and/or dry grass on top of Droso seeds in a pot and torching the dried leaves/grasses. It is the smoke from the fire that helps break down the seed coat, the same affect as scarifying the seed before sowing.

Back