What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Grow Your Pygmy Sundews?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Indoors or outside? How do you account for change of seasons / photoperiod / day-night temp differential?

I only have D. scorpioides, but it sits in a tray under lights with all my my other tropical sundews and bladderworts. It's probably a bit overkill, but I made up a schedule to mimic the natural changes in daylight and adjust between 12-16 hours over the course of the year in 15 minute increments since that's what my timer can do. I suspect that I need to go lower than 12 hours during the winter though since the scorps produce gemmae late and have not flowered.

As nim, I only have D. scorpioides now, I grew many species in the past. Even these D. sorpioides are growing from gemmae I acquired this year. That pot is out in the greenhouse as is my method. I've put the gemmae in a 4" long tom ( 10 x 10 x 17 cm). I've started using a lot of long toms for various plants, mainly because I' haven't used them as much before :0o:. We'll see what a difference it makes.

Last edited:
Indoors or outside? How do you account for change of seasons / photoperiod / day-night temp differential?

I only grow Scorpioides. Indoors under a light year round and in a west facing window. In the fall-Winter the rooms are between 61 and 66 F. They do great. They start producing gemmae in November. I mimic length of day light levels with the ones under the florescent tube. Others are in a west picture window facing West.

How much water do you keep them in and do you alter the water table, based upon season? Do you top water or add water to the tray?

How much water do you keep them in and do you alter the water table, based upon season? Do you top water or add water to the tray?

Hi Jim, I just keep the water level the same all year. About 1/4 - 1/2 inches. In fall and winter the room they're in stays around 62-65 degrees F.

Which ones do you have?

I'm talking about Scorps.

I've grown two pygmy sundews (scorps and pulchella) in a variety of conditions, including under lights with a seasonal light cycle, mild temps (but not much range) and outside in full sun with up to 100 degree weather. They seem to do fine in all conditions, although this year I'm experimenting and trying to find out if my scorps can handle most of our winters (may take them in when it freezes). I have not had any go dormant due to heat outside. I have found that they may go dormant if you don't provide enough water, but this applies under any temperature that ranges from 70 degrees and up.

All my pygmies live in what I call my "Mediterranean" greenhouse; sits partly to one side of an east-facing window (mostly gets sun in summer only), gets cycled throughout the year from hot summer temps to very cool winter conditions and around 16+ hours of artificial lighting to probably 11-12 in winter; the plants have been growing in a peat/perlite mix, but as I get gemmae and take leaf pullings (successfully!) I'm transitioning them to a peat and sand mix, kept moist at all times.

I only have scorpoides too. Grow it on a windowsill, gets a lot of sun, never too wet, keep it moist and it seems to do fine

LWRHQFv.jpg

I grow mine outside in my backyard year round. They have been doing pretty well, even flowering a few times.

Back