What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My regia has flowered

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
This is my first regia flower! I have only one regia, so kinda excited to see it in bloom.

27316809920_96c5cb7342_z.jpg
[/url]Regia flower stalk by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

27521132711_c4089a2635_z.jpg
[/url]My first regia flower stalk by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
That's great! I can't say I'm surprised, your plant was quite large and healthy when I saw it last.

Cool! Will the flowers self pollinate as with some drosera or is a genetically different plant required?

That's pretty cool. I've always liked hairy sundew flowers.

D. regia will self pollinate but you get better results with 2 parents. But some seed is better than no seed.

I'm still fighting to keep my crop alive and growing. They don't want to make the jump from seedling looking plants. @!#$%^&*(*&^%$#@W!~ if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to give them some of my own blood?

Good growing,
Mike

While Drosera regia is self-compatible dichogomy may be involved. Lois Ochs reports success with using the "yesterday's pollen - today's stigma" rule of hand pollination. This rule may help with Dionaea muscipula too. Regardless, hand pollination can sometimes increase the amount of seed yield.

Double post, oops.

Last edited:
Fantastic news, Djoni!! Hope you get some little babies out of that plant. The flowers seem quite large among drosera, too.

While Drosera regia is self-compatible dichogomy may be involved. Lois Ochs reports success with using the "yesterday's pollen - today's stigma" rule of hand pollination. This rule may help with Dionaea muscipula too. Regardless, hand pollination can sometimes increase the amount of seed yield.

Hmmm, maybe I will try that. I had heard you needed two plants flowering to cross pollinate and get seed (I only have one regia), so was not even going to bother trying hand-pollinating. Thank you for this information.

Fantastic news, Djoni!! Hope you get some little babies out of that plant. The flowers seem quite large among drosera, too.

Thank you. Yes, the flowers are quite large and a nice surprise. They are bigger than the flowers on the "giant" capensis I have and I thought they were big, ha.

Thank you. Yes, the flowers are quite large and a nice surprise. They are bigger than the flowers on the "giant" capensis I have and I thought they were big, ha.

A very cool-looking flower! I really like the little purple glands on the sepals.

Beautifully grown DJ!

[MENTION=12125]Shadowtski[/MENTION] My Regia are in the same boat, they just don't seem bothered to grow any larger even though I have them in large sized pots.

Last edited:
Back