What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera rotundifolia help - root rot?

Hello,

I managed to grow a few Drosera rotundifolia plants from seed.

They've been doing nicely outside under sheltered sunlight since their sowing (I'm in temperate zone so climate fits their needs), never kept them inside a dome (so that I wouldn't have to worry about mold) but always used an open tray filled with 1/4 inch (6mm) of water (TDS 18 ppm). The soil is pure blonde peat fit inside an icetray (with holes drilled in the bottom).

I just fed them with insects and watched them grow. My largest ones (shown in this picture) are about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter leaftip-to-leaftip.
Fungus gnats did often fly above them and I watched sometimes small worms swimming (maybe their larvae) in the shallow water but they never seem to have bothered them in months.
Now all of a sudden the once oblique leaves flattened on peat and the center of their rosette somewhat turned brown.

What could it be? Could you please tell me how to save them?

Thank you

Alfred

attachment.php

I don't see any issue here. A bit more light might do them good.

I don't see any issue here. A bit more light might do them good.

Thank you. Does the picture I've uploaded show up?

My problem is that they wilted all of a sudden, in like 1 or 2 days, those leaves were previously oblique/upright (surely not flattened on peat as if they were dead) and the traps had dew while now they're quite dry.
Also they were greener and not brown. That's what worries me.

Last edited:
Did they dry out suddenly? I've noticed that this can happen to Drosera if their media dries out. I've also noticed that this occasionally happens with some Drosera for no reason (interestingly enough, it always occurs on the supposed "easier" Drosera).

Last edited:
That happens every time I plant this species in peat. Ooze from the peat accumulates and encrusts at the growth point. Your plants look healthy to me, good job. Next time plant in sphagnum.

Did they dry out suddenly? I've noticed that this can happen to Drosera if their media dries out. I've also noticed that this occasionally happens with some Drosera for no reason (interestingly enough, it always occurs on the supposed "easier" Drosera).

Yes the peat got somewhat drier once (before this happened), however it wasn't bone dry, just the water in the saucer they're in evaporated away (they usually are in standing shallow water).
Is there anything I can do to help them recover?

Thank you

Back