What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera rotundifolia in the north

• Thread starter naoki
  • Start date
We were morel-hunting last week-end, but instead of morels, my son found this:

Drosera rotundiflora on Flickr

From herbarium records, there are a couple records from further north (Kobuk Valley National park around the Brooks range), but this seems to be at the northern edge of the distribution in Alaska. It was a nice father's day treat to see it in the nature!

This is the surrounding area. They were everywhere on the sphagnum moss:

Drosera rotundiflora habitat on Flickr

There is a bit of related info in my Orchid Borealis blog post (includes unrelated topics).

Last edited:
Beautiful! The sundews look small. I wonder if the are genetically smaller that far north.

That's pretty cool. What kind of prey did you see those plants with? Is it any different from something you'd find further south?

Beautiful! The sundews look small. I wonder if the are genetically smaller that far north.

It could be. A lot of plants are much smaller in the nature, but it is much smaller (the rosette diameter of the larger ones are about 2-3cm, but most are around 1.5cm) than the cultivated ones which I had.

That's pretty cool. What kind of prey did you see those plants with? Is it any different from something you'd find further south?

I didn't see anything caught on the leaves. Well, it is a bit of mosquito hell, so I didn't have too much patience to look them in details. I'll try to check more next time.

Most people probably prefer larger forms, but I think those tiny plants are really neat.

Back