What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant, no dew, whyy???

The plant looks much better. You shouldn't have any worries about feeding that plant small items like ants. The old leaves are very unlikely to dew back up. If you want, its worth takings some of those old leaves and making leaf cuttings out of them.

The plant looks much better. You shouldn't have any worries about feeding that plant small items like ants. The old leaves are very unlikely to dew back up. If you want, its worth takings some of those old leaves and making leaf cuttings out of them.

It's always recommended to take the healthiest leafs for cuttings, so I would just leave them on there, so that it can also provide the plant with some extra photosynthesis.

Last edited:
That plant can handle an ant and like I said. It will catch its own food outside.

A leaf caught a very small flying insect, not a mosquito. But it's just half curl, and it took the leaf like 8-9 hours to do the half-curl. Lolz.
I hope it really feeds well, not just a lazy curl because its too small prey.. XD XD XD

A leaf caught a very small flying insect, not a mosquito. But it's just half curl, and it took the leaf like 8-9 hours to do the half-curl. Lolz.
I hope it really feeds well, not just a lazy curl because its too small prey.. XD XD XD

Not all drosera close around their prey quickly. 8-9 hours sounds reasonable to me.

Ok. I will let the leaf do its 'job' outside.
Flickr
Like this. Lolz...

Wow that's a large fly. That'll be a nice boost for the plant. Just one thing I was wondering about. What kind of intermedia did you get? Is it one of the tropical forms?

I dont know even until now. Its still growing apprx 5-6 new leaves everyday tho. So I think it really like the light and the hunidity
Will it be different if its the temperate form? I mean, like it will die because it doesnt have resting period?

The good thing living in hot n humid tropical area was the pesky bugs.
I left my plant outside and I saw 3 more small bugs was stuck.
Idk if the plant can handle too many bugs at once. Will it be too tired or wikl it be very happy....

You should ask the person that you received the plant from whether or not its a temperate form the plant. If it is you will need to provide a dormancy period for it eventually. I wouldn't worry about too many insects being caught. Heavier feeding helps to result in more vigorous growth just like fertilization does for regular plants.

My seller said he wouldn't worry about that, his plants (Drosera, Venus, nephs) never need dormancy at all.
And he didn't really know about the intermedia forms. And didn't really care in particular.

Dionaea and temperate Drosera (like most D. intermedia forms) absolutely require winter dormancy to survive long-term. You might be able to get away with skipping dormancy one year but after that the plants will decline. If the seller isn't providing that dormancy then he isn't growing the plants properly.

Last edited:
This is true. Just pay close attention to your plant for the time being. I'm not sure how much day length varies in Indonesia but if it is enough you will notice your plant going in the start of dormancy as the days get shorter. Then you'll have to take measures to provide dormancy or have the plant die. For the future it would probably be best to only get plants you know to be tropical from that vendor or find a better vendor.

We dont have shorter time/days. We do have longer suntime by 3-4 hours but never longer than that, and it only happen in Hot season.
We only have hot - rain season, and this year, it was completelly messy. It should be hot season in Apr - Oct, but its still heavily raining now.
I dont even know should I let my plant be rained or no. My seller said its ok to have rain, but I am worried. My plant was still smallish, and its already almost a month. Its dewy and producing new leaves tho....

Well, I also don't know how to know if my D is a tropical/temperate one.

Look up the fridge dormancy method. I've heard of a few people in tropical areas using it for dormancy. But I'm not sure if it'll work if your plants don't start their dormancy period on their own. I guess there isn't much to do if there aren't any triggers in your environment to start dormancy. You'll just have to wait and see. If it survives you have a tropical form and if it doesn't at least you'll know why.

Flickr
Today's pic. My plant and I struggles for 3 weeks, and finallllly, good things starts to happen.. More BLINGGGSSS....
I remove the big fly, the leaf was burnt. Maybe its overload.
So now I gave 2 mosquito larvaes.

The very first time I fed my leaf, it took almost a day to fold. Today, it only take 2 hours to fold.

Back