What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmannii seems to be dying

I have a drosera burmannii, the leaves are turning brown from the ends and moving inward, including new leaves that are just forming as you can probably see in the photo. I'm determined to save it - Any idea what the cause is and how I can fix it? Hopefully it's not too late. Thanks in advance for any advice!

image_zps0bql973x.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

If you could give the conditions it would be more helpful, but the new growth seems to be fine.

The temperature during the day is about 76 degrees F. Fluorescent grow bulb a few inches away from the plant. Around 14 hours of light per day. Humidity is around 80% most of the time. I don't have official readings for at night but it's lower as I don't keep the humidifier on. Grown in a terrarium sorta setup.

How old is the plant? And have you ever fed it?

Not sure how old it is, I ordered it from the FlyTrapShop and have only had it for a week or so. It hasn't produced any dew or healthy leaves for me yet so I haven't been able to feed it. [MENTION=5846]adnedarn[/MENTION] any idea how old it is?

Perhaps it's light burn? How strong are those lights?

No idea... Like I told you when you asked if I had any random Dews... the pictures I sent you were just random Drosera that were all over in my two greenhouses, nothing I had planted on purpose or really paid attention to. I never feed Dews though, so take that out of your mind, but they do catch stuff on their own.
Andrew

Model 7020 GL
24 inch fluorescent
Portable luminaire
120v~ 60Hz 17W 300mA

Note: light doesn't get very hot and it has a plastic cover (to disperse the light?) company is Lights of America.

It looks like the plant has previously flowered. If D. burmannii don't catch enough prey, flowering weakens them.

Wait until the new growth has tentacles and dew. Then feed it some tiny pieces of dried bloodworm or ground up Betta pellet dust. Or put it outside away from direct mid-day sun and see if it will catch any prey on its own.

Good growing,
Mike

[MENTION=12125]Shadowtski[/MENTION] It put up a flower stalk that I just ended up cutting off a couple nights ago, wasn't worth having it probably finish off my plant. The new leaf growth tips are brownish orangey, and all the others leaves have been browning from the end inward....Hoping this doesn't start happening to all of the new leaves before they even finish forming

I won't say they don't eat, but I don't feed them and they definitely flower multiple times with no problem. In my warm greenhouse they even live through winter season and continue to grow.

Back