What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum Killer Babies

So the watering thing is a myth? Or the root thing? For the Drosophyllums.. in that link that led to axels post.
Sent from my SM-G935V

Last edited:
So the watering thing is a myth? Or the root thing? For the Drosophyllums.. in that link that led to axels post.
Sent from my SM-G935V

The myth is that Drosophyllums in the same pot inhibit each other's growth.

CP books 20+ years ago cautioned you to only grow one plant in each pot. That's when I started to grow CP the first time.

Good growing,
Mike

CP books 20+ years ago cautioned you to only grow one plant in each pot. That's when I started to grow CP the first time.

Good growing,
Mike
Oh, okay.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Good growing,
Mike

Oddly enough I don't remember ever reading this. Only grow one plant in the pot as it needs the room to grow I do. Double potting was recommended (a la Slack, also unnecessary) so the pots were more restricted in size.

Is it an old CP book myth or an internet myth? I tend to opt for the latter.

Three seeds in a pot and bin the others after the first germinates as Drosophyllum can't be transplanted was another piece of comedic wit.

Hi Fred, I have to respectfully disagree with your belief of the origin of the size inhibition myth.

I dug up my old CP books and I found the reference. In my 1986 copy of the Pietropaolo book, "Carnivorous Plants of the World", on page 103, the author states:

"Plants grow much larger when a single plant is grown per pot. The plants produce a chemical that inhibits the growth of nearby plants of the same species. "

The same statement can be found in Peter D'Amato's 1998 "The Savage Garden" on page 175. He states:

"It is believed that the plant produces a chemical to inhibit the growth of other Dewy Pines from growing within several feet of itself - a strategy due due no doubt to water conservation."

This information may be proved wrong now, but it is not an internet myth. It was accepted as, if not fact, at least a good growing practice to follow.

Good growing,
Mike

Oddly enough I don't remember ever reading this. Only grow one plant in the pot as it needs the room to grow I do. Double potting was recommended (a la Slack, also unnecessary) so the pots were more restricted in size.

Is it an old CP book myth or an internet myth? I tend to opt for the latter.

Three seeds in a pot and bin the others after the first germinates as Drosophyllum can't be transplanted was another piece of comedic wit.

Last edited:
Ah! James and Patricia Pietropaolo, I wonder what happened to them. :angel:

:crap:

I have a copy of that book and I think it's the first time I've read any of it. Well corrected.

Both are myths the watering regime and of course only one plant per pot, as my plants and Mike Wang’s show.
It is really an easy plant treated as I do.
Are they usually immune to aphids? I have never seen one alive on them.

The time in winter might be a problem because I did not feed them and the light level is low. But they managed the last winter without it quite well. Since then they have grown a lot, so I might reconsider later in winter.

Last edited:
Someone posted a picture on Facebook yesterday of a Drosophyllum growing in a tiny plastic pot with leaves 3x the height of the pot and flowers. He apparently doesn't use any sort of special soil for it either.

Nice, I want to try Drosophyllum but wondered if the PNW was suitable for them, especially with the bizarre "Juneuary" that we had this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can grow Drosophyllum here. The plants will survive being frozen solid (for a short period of time) though it's probably not good for them. Garages make good over-wintering areas if you can provide enough light and I've heard of people just growing them on windowsills too.

Someone posted a picture on Facebook yesterday of a Drosophyllum growing in a tiny plastic pot with leaves 3x the height of the pot and flowers. He apparently doesn't use any sort of special soil for it either.

I saw that FB post and it's very misleading. It's really not a healthy looking plant. It has very few leaves and is extremely small for a 2 year old plant. I have 6 month old plants nearly as big with many more leaves. From the comments it seems like it was bought, not grow from seed. How is pearlite with a little sand and peat insanely complex? :) Sure, they are much easier to grow than people make them out to be but in a bigger pot they will be much happier.

Yeah I would agree the plant didn't look all that healthy to me either. Some people would have you believe it wouldn't grow at all like that though.

Yes you can grow Drosophyllum here. The plants will survive being frozen solid (for a short period of time) though it's probably not good for them. Garages make good over-wintering areas if you can provide enough light and I've heard of people just growing them on windowsills too.

I actually have a room that is mostly unheated in winter -- it gets to 50 or so -- with an east window and/or lights if I want to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......they are much easier to grow than people make them out to be .......

They grow so easy they can do it all by themselves. As with all carnivorous plants it's only when certain humans get involved things become difficult for the plants.

Here I missed a change. The other is not well, I fear I also lose.
Little sun and use of sombrite, wilted plant, even very moist
Even very moist substratum are drying the tips of the leaves quickly

Novamente por favor em português

10” terra cotta pot, about 10-15 Droso seed germinated in it spring of 2016, seem to be growing just fine.

30801808620_cb77a9bcf2_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_7419.jpgx1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

On the right is a pot next to the above one, 10” terra cotta with two Droso plants that germinated at the same time as the above crowd and transplanted into their forever pot when little seedlings. Growth seems to be about the same in both pots.

30801808290_5061e77b6b_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_7422.jpgx1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Myth dispelled.

Back