What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew rescue mission. Help!

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I was at the gift shop of a conservatory that I often go to and found these sundews and I decided to give them a chance for survival, but I am unsure as to what they are. one is a d. filiformis, but I am unsure of the other two. Any advice on these plants is appreciated.

I'll get better photos up soon.

Best guess, D. intermedia, 2nd guess, D. anglica.

Good growing,
Mike

It almost looks like that first plant has formed hibernicula, which is odd for this time of year.

That is strange. Any tips on how to help these guys?

Since the plant in the first photo looks like it has formed hibernacula, you could try stimulating dormancy until the spring of 2017, I just don't know whether can survive that long being dormant.

Last edited:
Maybe I could do a very short dormancy, say one month and bring it out to let it heal.

They are both D. intermedia; if there are green leaves still there is no need to attempt forcing a dormancy but instead allowing the plant to continue setting in current conditions until either all the leaves die off or temps begin to drop; then, give it a dormancy.

How cold should I allow them to become? I don't want them freezing to death.

That's a question I have with some of my VFTs. I know they can tolerate being covered in snow for brief periods, but how cold can they go, and for how long without dying?

How cold should I allow them to become? I don't want them freezing to death.

That's a question I have with some of my VFTs. I know they can tolerate being covered in snow for brief periods, but how cold can they go, and for how long without dying?

I'm not exactly sure, but the ideal temperature for dormancy is around 33°F to 40°F, which is essentially refrigerator temperature.

Got it, also, should I try to separate them now or wait until they are in dormancy?

Back