What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera muncher

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Dont know how common a problem it is for most folks. It is an infrequent occurrence for me -- I suspect as a result of my having the plants out on a third floor balcony. But today I discovered a capensis munching caterpillar. It had silked together a cluster of petioles -- presumably so it could munch in peace. After extrication, it was relocated .... to a pitcher of my N. maxima. :devil:

I would have considered dispatching caterpillar then feed his carcass to the same capensis he was munching on.

Good growing,
Mike

Last time I discovered an insect larvae chewing on one of my plants (Sarracenia flower buds in that case,) I tossed it into a flytrap. Delicious!

I had one caterpillar that had secured two S. leucophylla pitchers together with silk, created an abode under the lids, and proceeded to munch the softer tissue of the lids on both. Since the pitchers face away from my typical vantage point I didn't notice anything odd until I realized that the pitchers refused to separate when I attempted prying them apart. Since both the pitchers were damaged by the perpetrator I figured they wouldn't mind sharing once I had terminated the it...

In other news, one year I had an infestation of some sort of tiny grub in my D. capensis collection that absolutely tore up the plants - crowns, petioles, laminas, flower stalks, everything. They enjoyed boring holes into the plants' crowns right below the soil line to hide there. It took submerging the plants completely for a week to completely get rid of them - luckily D. capensis is bulletproof so they mostly all bounced back.

I recently found the same thing in between two Sarracenia phyllodia, and then took it with tweezers and let it drown in a Purpurea pitcher.

Last edited:
If I was a random web surfer and happened upon this thread I might begin to question the sanity of this world.

If I was a random web surfer and happened upon this thread I might begin to question the sanity of this world.
Especially if they're like me and already have a lot of reasons to question the sanity of this world already.

Back