What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. linearis info

Hi all,

I've been growing, or at least trying to grow, linearis for about 8-10 years and I can never get them to come out of dormancy in the spring and/or they die during the winter. I've tried outside, in the fridge, and in a unheated garage, no joy. Anybody manage to get these to survive year after year? If so, whats your secret? Also, how many seasons does it take for linearis to reach maturity anyway? Okay that's it. Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks for the link, I'd forgotten all about that post. I do wish some of the posters would come back with some updates though.

I have read that they need to be fed a lot in order to survive dormancy. I am not exactly sure if this is correct, and why it would work, but someone swears by it.

Meanwhile, some people seem to not do anything to these and they grow no problem.

Anybody know how many seasons it takes for linearis to flower?

Anybody know how many seasons it takes for linearis to flower?

It flowers soon after coming out of dormancy, if it has produced a winter bud large enough. I managed to get one to flower once, but it did not even produce seed. Although I did get pollen from it and cross pollinated with D. rotundifolia and made the hybrid D. x anglica. But sadly, I could not get the hybrid to flower. I’ve given up and decided this sundew, albeit very interesting, is better left in Nature.

Yes, it is a difficult plant. I keep hoping I can get them to survive and set seed but so far no luck. This year I'm trying the whole heavy feeding thing and maybe I'll trying freezing one pot in a block of ice and see what happens. Who knows.

I believe feeding is the trick. Mine have not started perking up from their die-back until I have started spraying them with fert (or maybe it is just a coincidence).

Back