What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Amphiploid Sundew Genesis

You’ll find images on the web of a hybrid I created years ago: Drosera rotundifolia x capillaris. The original hybrid is sterile. Through the magic of Colchicine treatment I have created a plant which should now be fruitful and multiply. Last week I harvested and sowed its first seed. They look very good and I anticipate germination will begin soon.
~Dr. FrankenSnyder

???

Last edited:
Good luck. I am looking forward to more news of germination success and conditions

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

What does Colchicine do to make the hybrid fertile?

Good luck. I am looking forward to more news of germination success and conditions

Thanks. The seed is germinating; the first only six days after sowing. Colchicine treatment caused a decrease in size and vigor which I’m hoping some of these offspring will regain. The first sprouted seedling is growing strongly and looks very healthy, so far.
This new amphiploid is especially interesting to me because it might prove interfertile with the natural amphiploid D. anglica. It might be possible since my creation and D. anglica are both tetraploid and half D. rotundifolia.

What does Colchicine do to make the hybrid fertile?

I have a published article on the web: Colchicine Treatment on Sterile Hybrid Sundews
CPN Samples
“Hybrid plants are often sterile because the parent species have different chromosome numbers--as a result the chromosomes from the parents cannot pair compatibly. If such a hybrid has its chromosome number doubled, then the chromosomes are paired with their doubles.”

Back