What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera lunata

So I recently got a Drosera lunata with location data from japan and I know that it has a dormancy period in winter as opposed to summer but should I keep it moist over winter like my other temperate plants or let it dry out like most tuberous sundews?

Last edited:
I know some tuberous sundews appreciate a bit of moisture (D. menziesii) but even D. menziesii I have kept bone-dry and the tubers did not seem to dessicate.

sooo... I should keep it a little moist to be safe?

sooo... I should keep it a little moist to be safe?
I would not. Even when the pot seems bone dry, there is usually enough moisture in the media. What mix are you using?

2 parts sand to 1 part peat.
My biggest concern is that japan has a very different climate compared to australia so its natural habitat might be wetter.

Last edited:
Yeah even when fully dried, that should be fine.

The thing is, even when the surface of the pot looks bone dry, there will still be some moisture trapped underneath the surface. It's generally recommended to sprinkle small amounts of water on the surface of the pot every couple weeks (I do it every week) during dormancy to make sure it doesn't dry out too much. Some species like D. gigantea that grow tubers very deeply generally prefer more moisture.

Try to replicate the conditions found in nature for that locality; if it's wet in winter, keep it moist. D. lunata is found throughout the tropical southeast as well and in many regions where it's found there is no such thing as a dormancy period, so this tuberous sundew breaks all the rules as is, depending on location (Indochinese regions still have dry summer dormancies).

Back