What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your homemade strategy for germinating Drosera seeds in winter?

I have some Drosera capensis seeds that I want to germinate. However, winter is soon upon us and indoor temps will be as low as 60 degrees f (~15c) in the growing room. I stuck an old adhesive reptile heating pad to the bottom of one of those disposal foil lasagna baking dishes, so now I have a portable heating pad that I can put wherever I want. I plan on using it underneath a small aquarium that I am using as a germination chamber. I was also thinking of putting my Utricularia fulva over the heating pad as well, to keep it happy through the winter. I grow under fluorescent lights this time of year. So far, the aquarium gets nice and balmy and I'm hopeful that it will work.

I am curious if other folks here have some kind of homemade germination strategy for the winter months. I'm not too worried about them getting too warm, because I can easily disperse the heat by resting them on clay pots if needed. I welcome any tips or suggestions to increase chances of germination.

In my experience D capensis needs no strategy whatsoever to fascilitate germination. It pops up in pots in massed ranks. I don't have any heating in winter so the seed/seedlings freeze, it doesn't bother them at all.(Zone 8b)

No problems here either. A sunny window works aces.

Ok thanks! It looks like I'm already getting some tiny little sprouts.

Back