What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous Drosera Cuttings

Hey all,

Ran across this (below link) from the VCPS, wondering if anyone else has tried propagating tuberous species through cuttings. I have D. zigzagia flowering and waiting to strike from a leaf cutting at the moment. I'm curious about specifics on pollination, sowing, and cuttings for that species in particular too.

Also if anyone has any experience on aerial tubers in high humidity then do tell!
Victorian Carnivorous Plant Society Tuberous Drosera
Thanks a bunch~

Last edited:
From what I understand, cuttings are difficult because of the limited time for the new plantlet to mature enough to form a tuber for dormancy.

Great article! I didn't realize that it was possible to reproduce tuberous 'dews from cuttings. It seems to me that you might have a better chance doing leaf cuttings than growing from seed being as propagants usually grow faster than seedlings. Either way the race is to get them to produce mature tubers before dormancy, as nimbulan says.

What amounts to a tuber that can survive/go dormant?

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to say. I am currently growing some tuberous sundews from seed so I'll be curious to see both how large the plants get, and how large the resulting tubers are next summer.

What amounts to a tuber that can survive/go dormant?

It's a good question and one that may vary from species to species. Certainly conditions during dormancy would play a role. Very small tubers are more likely to completely dry out and die in the usually-recommended dry conditions. But they would also be more likely to rot if things are too moist.

I think it is worth it to take some cuttings and see what happens. This is a little off topic, but what is the largest tuber of all tuberous drosera, like the tuber itself? If I remember right, zigzagia is pretty small.

I'm a bit skeptical that the scrambling species would work but its worth a shot I suppose. If I remember correctly, I have only heard of success reports with D. whittakeri (not sure if that is how you spell it).

I think it is worth it to take some cuttings and see what happens. This is a little off topic, but what is the largest tuber of all tuberous drosera, like the tuber itself? If I remember right, zigzagia is pretty small.

D. gigantea holds the record, tubers can exceed 2" across in some cases. And, if you feed the plant often enough and start cuttings at the beginning of the growing season you have a fair chance of getting it to a decent enough size (which does vary by species; still trying to figure it out for the one I've attempted growing).

Back