What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cuneifolia, nana, & banksii seed germination

I need care pointers on all three of these species, especially on seed germination which is pertinent at the moment. I recently got seeds of them and I'm up for a challenge!
Thank you all, I appreciate the help,
Carson

While I can't help with the other two, D. cuneifolia will likely need to be treated the same as other South African winter-growing species. The seeds need to be sown immediately (and hopefully it isn't too late in the year already) and kept on a shorter photoperiod at cooler temperatures, similar to tuberous sundews.

What's your recommended treatment?

The treatment is simply as I outlined - no stratification required. I have some D. cistiflora and soon D. pauciflora seeds that I am attempting to germinate and that's what I was recommended to do by a very experienced grower.

I managed to germinate d. Cuneifolia on a windowsill without problems , I wouldn't of thought temps exceeded 20c , seeds were fresh with no special treatment

The treatment is simply as I outlined - no stratification required. I have some D. cistiflora and soon D. pauciflora seeds that I am attempting to germinate and that's what I was recommended to do by a very experienced grower.

I will follow this method.

According to ark of life's entry on D. cuneifolia, the plants are not high maintainence about dormancies (noting the use of the phrase "tend to go dormant"). I know Bluemax has a plant, I'm wondering if yours observes dormancy specifically because it looks like it follows Silvermine type morphology.

Drosera cuneifolia – Ark of Life, stopping extinction

Anyone know if D. banksii requires smoke treatment?

Last edited:
(site duplicated my post, please delete)

Last edited:
I have had no sign of dormancy from my D.cuneifolia in the several years that I have had it. I give it cooler conditions in winter and it just seems to grow more slowly without actually shutting down. My thoughts about smoke treatment are that it is cheap, easy and probably can't do any damage to your seeds.

I would be careful with smoke treatment. I did read some studies recently on smoke treatment of seeds and they appeared to show a reduction in germination when applied at the wrong strength, for the wrong amount of time, or even using the wrong brand of liquid smoke (apparently the flavor matters.) If it's not required, I wouldn't risk it.

Also I understood that D. cuneifolia was a winter-growing plant - I would expect it to go dormant during summer. Perhaps it's like pygmy sundews where it will only go dormant if conditions are poor.

I would be careful with smoke treatment. I did read some studies recently on smoke treatment of seeds and they appeared to show a reduction in germination when applied at the wrong strength, for the wrong amount of time, or even using the wrong brand of liquid smoke (apparently the flavor matters.) If it's not required, I wouldn't risk it.

'Sounds like an interesting study. Is it available online?

Thanks! 'Hope I haven't diverted the topic of this thread too much.

As far as D. cuneifolia goes, I find that mine grows well in the warmer temps of summer but it seems to prefer some span of temperatures from daytime to night. I don't know the location data for the form but I wonder if it is not from at least several thousand feet above sea level. My growing area gets down in the low 40's in mid-winter without inducing a true dormancy.

Last edited:
Hi Mark , I believe d.cuneifolia is meant to be a winter grower so dormancy would occur with the heat in summer, apparently there are a couple of locations and they don't both go dormant. My plants haven't gone dormant either. Here's a link Drosera cuneifolia – Ark of Life, stopping extinction I'd like to see a six inch diameter plant though? Mine get to around three at best

Last edited:
That's a very good resource for many S. African species. Thanks!

I'd estimate that a super deep pot would support a 6-inch wide-diameter plant. Perhaps 12 inches deep, even more for good measure.

Back