What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viability of pollen over time

After a bit of digging, I found online that Drosera pollen, at least for tuberous plants, is viable for at least 3-4, maybe 5 weeks. I also know from experience that pollen is usually usable on (south african) plants for a few days after flowering but I have no experience keeping it in the fridge long-term.

Any techniques on preserving pollen? Should I dry it out?

Does it get moldy?

And how long is drosera pollen viable for long-term? If I wanted to keep, say, Cape sundew pollen for a few weeks while another plant flowered so I could hybridize it, is storing it in the fridge after separating it from the flower a viable technique?

Thanks all!

I only have experience with Heliamphora pollen so I can't say how long Drosera pollen will last, but the storage principles should be the same. You want to store it dry (no risk of mold) and it will last longest in the freezer.

I dont have too much experience with pollen, and most if not all of my pollenation attempts have failed.
However, Here is what I do know.

Pollen is extremely vulnerable to moisture. Moisture is the enemy.
Shouldnt get moldy if you refer to rule #1.

Some pollen can stay viable up to a year for certain plants.
i would imagine that it varies from species to species.

My favorite method for storing pollen from drosera is to use a qtip,
then store said q-tip in one of those flower.. stem.. holder things. (pictured below)

But heres where you come in. Theres a bunch of stuff im still not
quite sure of about pollen. (Extremely dry vs non dried pollen samples, refrigeration vs non refrigeration)
if you want to get bone dry pollen samples, you can make a drying rack
and buy something called "damprid" from home depot. those crystals suck every last drop
of moisture from whatever it is that youre trying to dry.

s-l1000.jpg

Speaking of those tubes, I was sent Heliamphora pollen in a 5ml centrifuge tube, which is quite similar to those. They seal up quite tightly so they keep moisture out and don't take up much space either.

Pollen is extremely vulnerable to moisture. Moisture is the enemy...

if you want to get bone dry pollen samples, you can make a drying rack
and buy something called "damprid" from home depot. those crystals suck every last drop
of moisture from whatever it is that youre trying to dry.

Oooh this is great, thank you! And the centrifuge tubes are a great idea too

Last edited:
Back