What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick Drosera (with photo)

w1ecci.jpg

As you can see, my plant babe didn't take the transition to dorm life very well. I didn't notice until after it had declined that it wasn't getting enough sun from the window I set it up in front of -- when I was back home, though, it was thriving.

I have since bought a humidifer for it and a grow light and I'm home on break, so I'm hoping it will recover, but I was hoping for some opinions on how good its chances look.

PS. It's wet looking because I had just watered it before taking the photo. It's actually not very sticky, except for some of the few green parts that you see.

Last edited:
What species is it supposed to be?

That almost looks like frost damage to me. What sort of conditions was this pot exposed to? Did it ever completely dry out?

[MENTION=9149]fredg[/MENTION]

I'm not 100% sure. I've been calling it a coccicaulis for simplicity's sake, but the website I bought it from said they thought it was some sort of hybrid. They weren't able to identify what, though, and there's nothing written on its tag.

Last edited:
[MENTION=10989]nimbulan[/MENTION]

I'm not sure how it would've gotten frost damage... it's an indoor plant. I've kept it indoors both at home and at school, and I haven't been opening the window, either. The soil might've dried out once or twice when I got busy and watering slipped my mind, but for the most part.... no. I water pretty consistently, or I try to, anyway.

From the condition of the moss it looks like there maybe something iffy with the substrate. Info on substrate and as said above by fredg and nimbulan would be helpful.
Cheers

Mark

[MENTION=11778]carnigrower01[/MENTION]

I'm actually unsure regarding the soil mixture... I bought it from California Carnivores and since they ship their plants in a soil mixture specifically formulated for whatever particular plant you purchase I haven't repotted it, since. I'm relatively new to carnivorous plant keeping (I bought mine last summer), and I bought it this way because I didn't want to have to worry about soil composition. On their site FAQ, it says you should be able to go a year without repotting?

[MENTION=9149]fredg[/MENTION]

Actually, not sure that's right... It might be a Drosera hamiltonii. My memory here is hazy.

What have you been watering it with?

[MENTION=10989]nimbulan[/MENTION] Distilled water.

Something is definitely up. You can see the dead leaves of the bisquamata. Perhaps the soil is going bad? It probably wouldn't hurt to try repotting it.

[MENTION=12029]Benurmanii[/MENTION]

What should I repot it in? I've never repotted one of my carnivorous plants before.

Take a quick look at the media your plant is in to see what they use but most growers use some combination of sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and sand for sundews. The most important factor for any combination of those three ingredients that you choose is that it isn't fortified with fertilizer. That'll kill your plant.

1:1 ratio of peat moss and some sort of aggregate (perlite or sand) should work.
If you can't find any fertilizer-free peat moss and perlite you can also just put it in long-fiber sphagnum moss.

Yea, cali carnivores is known to have some strange happenings.

To me, it looks like a mixture of bad soil, too much water and (maybe) too cold?

Give it a new repot and some light, should be good to go.

I didn't see any mention of this, so forgive me if I overlooked it. Was this a quick decline (over night) or a lengthy decline (few weeks)?

Last edited:
[MENTION=12451]boarderlib[/MENTION]
It happened slowly. I thought that it was just adjusting to the move/transition, so I didn't worry about it too much until things started looking drastic.

[MENTION=11194]NemJones[/MENTION]

Oh, really? What kind of strange happenings? I had no idea.

I definitely agree to repot on the soil then. I was wondering if maybe somehow in the move it picked up a bug too. Since it wasn't quick, I doubt it would be that then.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
tumblr_o89n2egFdA1qk2tbco5_1280.jpg

The plant looked like this when I had just bought it, if that helps?? It was thriving at the time.

Back