What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick Drosera (with photo)

[MENTION=12451]boarderlib[/MENTION]

I'll go ahead and try repotting, then. Thanks!

Do you know where I can find the media necessary for repotting? I don't have any just laying around.

As for the possibility of the plant picking up a bug, I saw a snail on it a few weeks back, which I thought was weird?? It was tiny, but I made sure to pull it off, regardless. And I've seen some ants over on the windowsill since I've brought my plants back home with me from break. Not on the plants, but around them.

I usually just get my nutrient free peat at any place that sells dirt, home improvement or hardware stores. Same with the perlite, or silica sand.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to give the plant a good soak in distilled water while you repot it. That'll chase out most pests if it picked one up.

The only time I've had all the moss in a pot die like that was due to planting a new plant (which came with some moss around it) in a pot of peat that had unknowingly gone bad. I can't imagine how that could've happened in such a short time after receiving it when there was no sign of any problem before. That makes me suspect a problem with the water but you said you are using distilled. Do you have a picture of the product?

Wow actually. There is a massive difference between when you got it and now.
What conditions is it in?

[MENTION=11194]NemJones[/MENTION]

I know... the contrast is stark. I'm wondering if maybe it's a lost cause at this point...

What do you mean what conditions is it in? It's an indoor plant and it's been in both North Carolina and Virginia, so subject to the temperature fluctuations of each (I didn't have a heating unit in my dorm, but it never got extremely cold, either), but it's never been exposed to the elements or any extreme weather conditions if that's what you're asking.

[MENTION=10989]nimbulan[/MENTION]

Yes, actually. I don't think it's the water, though... I've been using the same water for all of them and my other two carnivorous plants (a drosera capensis and Ultricularia sandersonii) declined in the move, as well, but not to nearly the same extent and, since setting up the grow light and the humidifier, my drosera capensis is looking healthy again, whereas before it was droopy and lacking in stickiness.

b3sq4k.jpg

fz99bo.jpg

(comparison pics of my other plants to come)

My drosera capensis looked dead a few weeks ago, but since I've made changes it has come back with a vengeance, which is why I found the lack of improvement in my sick hamiltonii so surprising:
i5wwfm.jpg

350pa85_th.jpg

17srvc.jpg

Are the capensis just a hardier plant, with a better come back rate?

Now, my Ultricularia sandersonii declined as well, developing a dead patch where before it had flowered, but I'm not so worried about it because there's still other green growth that hasn't really shown any positive or negative change:
xcoyue.jpg

123l6yb_th.jpg

As for the before pics for these two:
tumblr_oa5x9zMnru1qk2tbco1_500.jpg

tumblr_o8ct2pH2YR1qk2tbco2_400.jpg

So, overall, I'm not inclined to think it's a water issue (though I could be wrong), since all three plants have had different come back rates.

Last edited:
All those plants have been in seriously bad conditions at some stage. It looks like you have begun to rectify that. Now it's a matter of wait and see how they progress. Don't go messing about doing anything else, just keep them as you are doing now.

Back