Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PNW Drosophyllum germinating outside in cool temps and low light

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing! Good know. I've been doing this all wrong - room temp, lit, tray....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that keeping drosophyllum long-term is difficult. They cannot withstand the cold, and have an astonishing light and space requirement in the winter. Without a greenhouse you'll be lucky to keep them for more than 3 years, and if you do it was probably a pain . I like your idea of keeping them as semi-annuals. I'm guessing that means the seeds do not dampen or freeze to death during the winter?

Thanks for the updates!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    I've found that keeping drosophyllum long-term is difficult. They cannot withstand the cold, and have an astonishing light and space requirement in the winter. Without a greenhouse you'll be lucky to keep them for more than 3 years, and if you do it was probably a pain . I like your idea of keeping them as semi-annuals. I'm guessing that means the seeds do not dampen or freeze to death during the winter?

Thanks for the updates!
    Drosophyllum can handle frosts quite well, although sustained freezing temps will eventually kill them. I overwinter my Drosophyllum in an unheated garage next to a large south-facing window with a T12 light fixture overhead and they do fine. Overnight temps there often get down into the high 30s with occasional low 30s; 40s and 50s during the day. Space is limited so I can only keep two or three Droso pots there depending on pot size (12 or 10 terra cotta pots) or how many other CPs I have on that extended window sill.

Important to note though that these Drosos are acclimated to being outside from spring to late fall so get natural seasonal cues such as fluctuating temps and photoperiod. The oldest Droso I had was 4+ years old. The Droso pot in the pics I think is 3 years old. I do not find them a pain to grow at all and love having them around the yard during the growing season and enjoying them in the garage during winter.

I think the seed baking in the sun in late summer and the winter conditions we get outside here, lots of rain and constant freeze/thaw cycles, helps to break down the seed coat making it unnecessary to treat them in any way for germination. This was an experiment to see what would happen in my conditions. Germinating seed in more controlled conditions I think does work better for most and probably produces a better germination rate.

Forsty Drosophyllum
    [img]Frosty Drosophyllum by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_5090x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Thawed out once the sun hit them and doing fine
    [img]Thawed by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_5093x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Update on the babies in the pics at the top of this thread: Bluemax was kind enough to take these off my hands (two pots) and he tells me several more seed germinated after he got them. Last I heard all are growing well in his garage window.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two Droso pots overwintering now in my unheated garage with a T12 light fixture overhead and the window for lighting, photo taken today. These have been in the garage since October and are from seed that germinated outside in spring last year. The pot on the right are two plants that were transplanted as young seedlings from another outside pot that contained an inappropriate soil mix to sustain adult Drosophyllum.

[img]Drosophyllum Jan. 31, 2017 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/img]

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's interesting how the plants are showing a lot of wilting while they are covered with frost but when it has melted off they stretch out. Obviously they are metabolizing and moving liquids internally.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They almost seem refreshed after cold nights, however it just gets a bit too low for them where I'm located. Hard freezes can go on for weeks. It looks like your climate is right at the limit where you can get away with them living with no or minimal protection. Beautiful specimens, good work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12