What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to prolong the season for tuberous drosera?

As in South Texas, the winter is relative short here in Houston. I keep my tuberous outdoor. Any idea on how to prolong the growing season for tuberous drosera? Obviously, moving them indoor and keeping them cool is an option. Unfortunately, it is not a feasible option for me. Apart from that, any other suggestion.

Thank you n advance.

Happy growing,

Patrick

Some species need you to tell them to go dormant by stopping watering, and won't always do it on their own. D. menziesii is a good example of this. Mine was awake until July (though I grow indoors, so temps would have only been in the high 70s at that point). Johnny (was cthulhu on these forums) instructed me that I had to let them dry out in order for them to go dormant, if they weren't doing it on their own. Johnny isn't on here anymore, but he's on Facebook. If you have an account, you can always contact him. He is definitely a tuberous Drosera expert.

If you can't move them indoors and keep them cool, it's not going to happen. Higher temperatures and longer days will both trigger dormancy in these plants. I have no idea what the long term viability of a shorter than normal growing season is, but it may be doable if they catch enough bugs.

Thank you for comment. I grew D. menziesii. My D. menziesii woke up around Oct-Nov and started dormancy around March-April time last time. That only allow it to form the own tuber, but no new tuber. That's why, I think the season is too short for them (Or I fed them not enough :p).

I better think of getting them indoor to extend their grow season, although it is a challenge. :-(

Last edited:
I mean october/november to march/april seems totally normal for me. If you want more tubers I would just feed your plant a bit more.

Back