What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia comparison

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
This D. regia spent the summer in a green house.

This one spent the summer outside on the deck.

Go figure.

Too hot in the greenhouse, perhaps?

I guess it must have been too hot in the greenhouse as you guys suggest. The thing is, however, that even though it was a greenhouse it was still a green house in SE AK where we get notoriously cool and underwhelming summers.

It never was able to produce much in the ways of trapping leaves during the summer so it certainly ate less than the other plant. The larger plant was coated in bugs and catching insects well into November where temps hovered around 40 day and night.

I think that this species is much more temperate than most people assume.

It does seem to behave largely like a temperate plant with a rhizome and full winter dormancy triggered by short days. I would be curious to see comparisons of plants grown year-round vs those given dormancy - which I'm also curious to see with Cephalotus as well.

your deck plant certainly has healthy leaves on it. what night and day temps did you get this summer, regularly?

my plants grow year-round and have 12 inch, healthy leaves. I don't give them dormancy, but the key is giving them a drop in temps at night i think. The guys at sarracenia northwest grow theirs year-round outside through deep freezes and their plants are as healthy as any, though the plants die back in the winter to the roots. That's Oregon, zone 8.

used to keep mine indoors but that hurt the plants during periods when temps wouldn't fluctuate even in the evening

also, getting the plant somehow is key to getting new growth from what i've seen, but only in combination with not-too-hot temps

i'd say grow it like a sarracenia oreophila with optional dormancy. responds to temps similarly from what i've seen

Last edited:
Back