What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hilaris from Cuttings

• Thread starter raycer491
  • Start date
Hey again, and happy 2017!

I'm asking about successes with D. hilaris cuttings. I'm trying to propagate my plant but my first attempt isn't looking great. I'm sure the next one will go better, but I wanted to check in with you all before I continued.

I cut a healthy new leaf off my plant (which is fortunately very vigorous in my conditions, so there're no concerns on the plant's general health) on Thanksgiving and put it in pure water. Since then no mold has grown on the explant, but the entire leaf has blackened and died. The remaining midrib near the basal part of the petiole is all that remains and I still have hope for it, but suspect there's a better way to go about propagating this plant.

Other cuttings from other species I made that day appear healthy in their test tubes, some sprouting calluses.

I am willing to try tried and true methods on leaves and roots for this species. No stem cuttings for me though, I don't want to risk it!

Thanks all! Happy 2017.

Have you tried stripping a leaf off of the plant and see if that works?

Sent from my SM-G935V

I tried, but almost broke the stem. I'll try that and roots next time. Another grower has told me that leaf cuttings don't work with this species.

Back