What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new 'alba' cape sundew has brown spots?

• Thread starter Turtlekit
  • Start date
Is it normal for some of the leaves to be brown like this or is it an indicator of a problem? Should I remove the brown leaves? I just got this plant in the mail today and it is my first sundew.
893fd41832b3811e903b26587f45271f.jpg

^the plant
4fa8fb785d91ef2e4e9bd4e9227a55bd.jpg

^one of the brown leaves

The whole plant will look a bit ratty for a week or two until it starts putting out leaves adjusted to your conditions. I wouldn't worry about any browning on the old leaves.

The leaf in question appears to be the oldest leaf on the plant, and is just dying back naturally. Nothing to worry about here.

Last edited:
The plant does, however, look like it needs a little more light (don't know if it was in low light where you got it from or where you have it now, but it should be acclimated to at least strong artificial light).

That's good, I was a little worried for a moment there! Thank you!

Thank you, I'm glad that it is not a problem!

I don't know what kind of light it was getting in its old location either, but it should get plenty of natural light here! This room has 4 large windows including one right next to where the plant is, and is sunny pretty much all day. Once the weather warms up I am going to move it out on the porch, which is even brighter! Thanks for the info!

Back