What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollination of Byblis Guehoi

• Thread starter Edson
  • Start date
Friends, I need help. Do you know how I can do the pollination of byblis guehoi? In search, I found on youtube only by vibration and something like remove pollen sheet, let dry for 15min. This I could not could you help me?

Ps. using Google translator....

Step one: it is required you have two different clones otherwise you'll never get seeds as B. guehoi is self-incompatible. Step two: you can take a toothpick and flick the anthers once the flower is open to release pollen, have something underneath to catch pollen and then use the toothpick or similar small instrument to place the pollen on the stigma of the other clone.

Yes, at the moment I have 2 and for the pollination has to be crossed. Poel of one in stigma of another. But my friend, I tried with a toothpick in the center, nothing came out and nothing fell, I observed with glasses. I found something about cutting an anther in half. But I also saw no results.

Pluck off the pollen sacks / anthers with tweezers. Cut them open with a sharp knife (razor, scalpel, X-acto knife). It doesn't matter if you cut them lengthwise or crosswise. Let dry for 15 minutes. Pick up a slice with the tweezers and smear the pollen on the stigma. Note the stigma should be dewy looking when receptive. I cut the pollen sacks on a mirror as it makes it easy to see the pollen.

Thanks to Brian Barnes for suggesting this technique. There is no reason why it should not work for Heliamphora either.

See the following:

New hybrid - B. 'Goliath' x guehoi | International Carnivorous Plant Society
Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Last edited:
Pluck off the pollen sacks / anthers with tweezers. Cut them open with a sharp knife (razor, scalpel, X-acto knife). It doesn't matter if you cut them lengthwise or crosswise. Let dry for 15 minutes. Pick up a slice with the tweezers and smear the pollen on the stigma. Note the stigma should be dewy looking when receptive. I cut the pollen sacks on a mirror as it makes it easy to see the pollen.

Thanks to Brian Barnes for suggesting this technique. There is no reason why it should not work for Heliamphora either.

See the following:

New hybrid - B. 'Goliath' x guehoi | International Carnivorous Plant Society
Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Grateful friend Not a Number or as well as Brian Barnes. This same publication I saw a few days ago and that gave me hope.
"Cut them lengthwise or across". I had this doubt, now it has been clarified. I am trying to go 2 days, but unfortunately I do not see the polem in the stigma. I await 15/20 minutes. But I will continue to do so, and with flowers from cross sources.

thanks.

Cutting the sacks lengthwise will expose more pollen. Remember the stigma should be receptive (moist/dewy looking) when you apply the pollen.

If you're trying to tap pollen out of them, you have be to rather rough. I like to grab the leaf attached directly behind the flower with my middle and index finger, as if daintily holding a cigarette, and then using my thumb to clutch the lower petal agaisnt those to fingers, with my thumbnail directly underneath the anthers. I then use an electric toothbrush to really agitate the anthers, which collects on my thumbnail. Despite trying with multiple clones, I've never actually managed to pollinate my guehoi, but I believe it is because temps were much too cold for them to successfuly make seed, I even had a flower on a late-blooming lusitanica fail to self pollinate (high 60s days, 50 nights).

Friends, thank you for your guidance. I did in the after-cut mode (15min) hold the cut and above hitting as it does to with ashes of a cigarette, for example. Below I left a white surface and saw the yellow pollen !! I made one plant and polished the other after the other and pollinated the first. I stared at glasses and saw the stigma covered with pollen. great! Now I will wait a few days for confirmation and I hope to post photos to you that have helped me and I try to reciprocate. hug to everyone.

Not a Number - I cut horizontally ... vertically I found it very difficult but I will still try. thank you very much.

Benurmamannii - Use a vibrator, I left it to the background. But thank you very much. I saw results with the cut and wait 15 min, after beating lightly held by forceps and with a toothpick collect the fallen pollen. Make up a smooth surface of white color.

But thank you, my friend.

I thank all the help received.

ps. Sorry for my translator errors

Friends, thank you for your guidance. I did in the after-cut mode (15min) hold the cut and above hitting as it does to with ashes of a cigarette, for example. Below I left a white surface and saw the yellow pollen !! I made one plant and polished the other after the other and pollinated the first. I stared at glasses and saw the stigma covered with pollen. great! Now I will wait a few days for confirmation and I hope to post photos to you that have helped me and I try to reciprocate. hug to everyone.

Not a Number - I cut horizontally ... vertically I found it very difficult but I will still try. thank you very much.

Benurmamannii - Use a vibrator, I left it to the background. But thank you very much. I saw results with the cut and wait 15 min, after beating lightly held by forceps and with a toothpick collect the fallen pollen. Make up a smooth surface of white color.

But thank you, my friend.

I thank all the help received.

ps. Sorry for my translator errors

Remember the stigma should be receptive. :-(

I today collected the first capsule, Thank you all who helped me.
I only collected 01 with 16 seeds for now, but I'm already happy that I got it and it was with help.
Thanks.

20170322_184602.jpg

20170322_184810.jpg

I found the instructions on the internet too complicated, so I just used a paintbrush, dabbed it around in the center of the flower, went to another plant, dabbed it around in the center of the flower, went to another plant, dabbed it around.... I keep the brush right there next to the plants and every once in a while I do that to whatever flowers are open. Not particularly meticulous about it. I've never watched the process with a magnifying glass or anything. The brush rarely has anything very obvious on it.

I am selling seeds. Clearly there are plenty being set. They germinate normally too. That is good enough for me.

I found the instructions on the internet too complicated, so I just used a paintbrush, dabbed it around in the center of the flower, went to another plant, dabbed it around in the center of the flower, went to another plant, dabbed it around.... I keep the brush right there next to the plants and every once in a while I do that to whatever flowers are open. Not particularly meticulous about it. I've never watched the process with a magnifying glass or anything. The brush rarely has anything very obvious on it.

I am selling seeds. Clearly there are plenty being set. They germinate normally too. That is good enough for me.

I make a point of not arguing with success. Sometimes the supposed 'impossible' works very well. :)

I make a point of not arguing with success. Sometimes the supposed 'impossible' works very well. :)

ROFL. I hadn't thought of it like that. "Success". I would probably get more seeds if I did it properly, but I don't bother because I already have too many seeds. Sometimes I don't pollinate at all and enjoy the flowers :D

Right now I am at a point where I'm just letting the older plants hang off the edge of the tray their pots are in (suspended in the balcony) and there are flowers everwhere. Mostly because I'm too lazy to stake them up, but more because I realize if they drape like a hanging plant, they catch more flying insects :D

C_X6-6rVwAAeKy8.jpg

Also a surprisingly effective mosquito net.

That is very impressive. The flowers have a very nice purple-blue to them.

That is very impressive. The flowers have a very nice purple-blue to them.

Oh yes, the flowers of this plant are quite amazing. And it just never stops flowering. Started at 6 weeks. Flowers forever. It may be our climate. I live near Bombay. Warm, humid.

Back