User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sundew Seeds on Ground Coco Fiber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know some guys using coir for mycology, aLotta mushrooms are salt sensitive, and most i have spoken with say they have not had salt issues, one of them even tds'd tested it, said generally salt was no issue in his tests. that being said i think most the modern day vendors get it from sources that thoroughly wash it, so it is my feeling most the stories of salty coir come from the early days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Burmanii volunteers I didn't even sow growing happily in it. I'd sowed venus flytrap seeds. They germinated, hung around for a bit, then died. Was going to empty the pot, except I saw LOADS of tiny burmanii seedlings. So I let them have the pot. I do nothing special for them. They don't get the best light, they get water runoff dripped on them from the pot above them... they don't seem to mind.

Earlier, when I wasn't that good at growing CPs (still not too good, actually) I had tried to grow drosera capensis and spatulata in pure cocopeat. Zero germination. But if it is any consolation, ALL my pots had zero germination then, so...
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidyut View Post
    I have Burmanii volunteers I didn't even sow growing happily in it. I'd sowed venus flytrap seeds. They germinated, hung around for a bit, then died. Was going to empty the pot, except I saw LOADS of tiny burmanii seedlings. So I let them have the pot. I do nothing special for them. They don't get the best light, they get water runoff dripped on them from the pot above them... they don't seem to mind.

Earlier, when I wasn't that good at growing CPs (still not too good, actually) I had tried to grow drosera capensis and spatulata in pure cocopeat. Zero germination. But if it is any consolation, ALL my pots had zero germination then, so...
    Hey, I just saw this! Thanks for posting Vidyut! And the photo speaks volumes!

As for my plants, they've had no problem sprouting on coco core. I've had so many sundew plantlets that I've been giving them away! With sprouting seeds, I used long fiber sphagnum mixed with perlite and covered that with about an inch of pure coco core. For older plants I'm using a mix that is about 1 to 1 to 1 of coco core, long fiber sphagnum, and perlite. I have 2 different types of coco core, one marketed as being used for sprouting seeds, the other meant for reptile/amphibian use. They both work!
    Last edited by Acro; 08-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123