What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me save my sundew please!!

Hey guys so i recently received a sundew 2 days ago and noticed it had some damage(black leaves) but nothing to major so i thought all was well potted it threw it under the led light and by the next morning i noticed it was kinda sad looking(green leaves but kind of wilted and Browning) i would throw it outside but temperatures have been exceeding 37° here and even my hardier plants are showing signs of heat stress. Any and all advice is appreciated please help me save my plant! The base of the plant is still green so its not fully dead yet. Its medium is sphagnum moss and it is kept under a 24 watt led grow light and watered once a day. Thank you all!

KTew5Bg.jpg

This picture is of when I recieved it

xG9JrOr.jpg

These pictures are of the2 days after

Last edited by a moderator:
Only seeing the first image.

Looks like a capensis. Pretty durable plants. Is it still deep down inside the cup? Pure sphagnum should be fine. I always leave the moss "fluffy" as opposed to packing it in. The plant can be left sitting in water. Even if the whole upper portion dies back, they can often come back from the roots.

It should be fine. At worst you can take leaf cuttings if the main plant dies back.

I would cut off the dead material an cover the plant for a few days.

Update: I think ive gone and killed the poor thing:(

8htXgYf.jpg

Here is a picture of it now can someone tell me by this picture what I did wrong?too much light too little water etc...

Hard to tell, but why is it deep down in a cup instead of in a pot? As the other posters said, it should be able to sprout back from its roots.

D. capensis is rather hardy. It may grow back from the roots. Keep it moist for a couple months before tossing it out.

Anyone think the cup should be cut down a little to allow more light to get in?

OP, is this being grown by a window or under lights?

Either way, good luck! :D

Its medium is sphagnum moss and it is kept under a 24 watt led grow light and watered once a day. Thank you all!

Are you using reverse osmosis, distilled water, or rainwater on it?

Last edited:
Under light [MENTION=10183]Acro[/MENTION]

Hey guys so i recently received a sundew 2 days ago and noticed it had some damage(black leaves) but nothing to major so i thought all was well potted it threw it under the led light and by the next morning i noticed it was kinda sad looking(green leaves but kind of wilted and Browning) i would throw it outside but temperatures have been exceeding 37° here and even my hardier plants are showing signs of heat stress. Any and all advice is appreciated please help me save my plant! The base of the plant is still green so its not fully dead yet. Its medium is sphagnum moss and it is kept under a 24 watt led grow light and watered once a day. Thank you all!

Some of my plants do that sometimes. I've heards they come back from the roots, but haven't had it happen yet. I suspect there may be overwatering involved, but nothing conclusive. We also get crazy hot summers here.

KTew5Bg.jpg

This picture is of when I recieved it

xG9JrOr.jpg

These pictures are of the2 days after

This is looking like they are too low in the cup. The roots may be at the bottom of the cup and drowning in whatever little doesn't drain. You could cut the cup down, like others suggested, but in your place, I would take the plant out along with the medium, like a plug, put in lots of potting mix under, put plant back, water it nicely and let it almost dry before returning to a water regime.

Back