What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new sundews

• Thread starter phil1984
  • Start date
Hi everyone, I'm so pleased to have received my new drosera capensis. And one has a little tiny venus flytrap growing at the Base, not sure what type or the age though?and can I just leave it in there? lol [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
5748a54943bb5afecd9f1ca13c675abc.jpg
b6e233b5f92332d46e883c81c163e9af.jpg
c5dc6cd0c8f75d45baeebb62a540d7c8.jpg
4068fd0cf03b1be25323edeeb0728c62.jpg
58fc5f9010c8263ca0cd09fa13a67aa2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

They will be fine together for a while, are you intending to keep the Capensis growing or give it dormancy for the VFT? If so they will be fine till dormancy, and you can separate them in spring.
As to what it is, you cant be sure till it matures a bit and even then it is not good to give it a name without being certain its parentage, as they can exhibit some of the traits of named CVs but not be that plant at all, which can cause chaos if swapped, sold or bred from, just label it as a NOID. Its probably a stray seed from the nursery plants, that has germinated in the pot.
Good luck with the plants.
Cheers
Steve

Dionaea would do better outside; they require a lot of sun and that would also give it more lights cues to go dormant. For now it should be fine in the same pot but eventually you will probably want to move it.

In all reality the Drosera capensis and Dionaea can be given the exact same conditions throughout the year; capes will survive light frosts and Dionaea don't need frost to get a decent dormancy, and both will do fine outside in full sun (especially the red leaf form). However if you wish to keep the sundews as year-round subtropicals, it would be best to repot the Dionaea into its own container. And as it did not come labeled as a cultivar, you cannot give it any label other than "typical."

Back