What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ID

• Thread starter ShoalCreek
  • Start date
Exactly what I thought but info says it's supposed to be a pink flower. Thank you!!

There's pink flower ones and white flower ones.

Drosera capensis 'Albino' specifically.

Not albino. The tentacles are pink on this one, while the tentacles on the albino variety of capensis are the same color as the leaf. If anything this has some albino genetics, but this one isn't a true albino.

This one is a D. capensis 'Albino'
27878a9c346e0d1169ea44e5e79088c0.jpg

Last edited:
The cultivar description states that D. capensis 'Albino' has white flowers and that the leaves and tentacles lack red coloration under "various lighting conditions, including strong sun." However, out of hundreds of these plants that I have grown out, all of them developed slight pink tentacle coloration under both strong artificial lights and natural sun. I am unaware if there are any D. capensis in cultivation that completely lack the ability to express at least some degree of red coloration.

img-6061_orig.jpg

As of currently there is no truly anthocyanin-free D. capensis in cultivation (including yours Raistlarn, I can see pink even in that photo where the tentacles are overlapping; try growing it in full sun and you'll probably see it even more strongly); the 'Albino' description states a lack of red, but when growing 'Albino' next to other capensis one might simply dismiss the pink hue to the tentacles or not consider it to fall under the typical "red" pigment category. It is a similar state to that of D. capillaris 'Emerald's Envy' which depending on its growing conditions (as the color is not controlled just by sunlight but the soil conditions, by the way) may appear entirely green and white or the tentacles obtain a pinkish tint.

Mine is growing in full sun. The pinkness is due to some burning on the leaves. Otherwise the tentacles are clear when looked at closely.

Ok I was in the wrong. I looked at more pictures of albino capensis plants and almost all of them were pink. So yes your Drosera capensis is an albino.

Last edited:
Back