Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A nice surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That point about droopy leaves with dense pale tentacles is interesting. I will note that those leaves are old and trying to track the sun--because of seasonal change, I have had to move the plant back so it would still get enough full sun, but these leaves finished growing before I did so. New leaves have the characteristic red tentacles and are growing straighter. Does this still match with tracyi?
    Leaves are probably 10" long, perhaps a bit longer.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filiformis generally has longer and sparser tentacles, while the tentacles on the leaf margins are especially long and reflex toward the underside of the leaf. Tracyi tentacles are more uniform in length, shorter, much denser, and exhibit very little color.

Filiformis:

Tracyi:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nimbulan's photos are a good representation. If the new leaves are getting redder and straighter, it might be a sign of filiformis but even the plants I have that are a bit on the shady side (aka the ones indoors) still stay more or less upright and with long tentacles. If the plant retains traits of both however it may be D. x californica, the hybrid between the two species.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect it's D. x californica, then. The leaves are completely green--they never develop a red tint. The leaves remain upright unless they track the light heavily enough that they fall over. The tentacles seem like they're in between in length, and are not particularly crowded. They're very red-tipped as long as they're in bright light.
    Here's a picture of a new leaf:

Apologies that it's rotated sideways. Does my suggestion sound about right?
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd still leave it in full sun for a while before making the call. Some D. tracyi can have pretty red tentacle tips (only the tips though; filiformis and hybrids will have the whole gland color up) in strong light even if white or pinkish is more typical. The tentacle density looks somewhere between tracyi and californica, so it may well be the hybrid.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12