What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera overload

• Thread starter takitza
  • Start date
Hello guys,

Just wanted to share my Drosera babies. I'm so proud of them that I felt the need to pass the love to others too :)
Also, could you tell what Drosera flower is that? The plant looks something between Capensis and Nidiformis, but the nidiformis has pink flowers.

Enjoy and thanks!
8e1eed9710848b5f55e2ecb60f4c5346.jpg
5b7b09f8de14aa5fe93f688ca249269b.jpg
596789d95cc2a1721709ba9998249f8c.jpg
b882923819b7debc4babee2c9431bfe8.jpg
da68ecf837974c98e51e56106b87fba5.jpg
7519f2a062d1b24b00a4904a3f008f96.jpg
97a2998459955771237f1bd80218dc92.jpg
372b791aa3c252c27edcc555f15268d1.jpg
3cf44f955399594286e97935c7bcd741.jpg

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

That is a load of Drosera love. What species are represented here?

D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. Burmannii, D. Nidiformis, D. Scorpioides. There might be others too, because I had bought some Drosera mix ar some point. The only fear is that I don't know where to put them during winter

Also, if anyone near Romania wants to trade or need seeds of any of the above, besides D. Scorpioides gemmaea, I can really share/trade. Bur I guess these are pretty common species, though

Last edited:
At the very least some of the plants I'm seeing there are tokaiensis, not spatulata (and unless you got the spatulata with a specific form or locality name, they'll probably end up tokaiensis). And if you want an ID for a flower, we need to see the plant it's attached to.

At the very least some of the plants I'm seeing there are tokaiensis, not spatulata (and unless you got the spatulata with a specific form or locality name, they'll probably end up tokaiensis). And if you want an ID for a flower, we need to see the plant it's attached to.
My bad. They are Drosera Spatulata "Fraser Island". I suppose they look like D. Tokaiensis, yea :) I am attaching some pictures with the plant for ID, too
e29a3257ae40e8ea22cfb90f1db26713.jpg
b202f6e9f542f60b3834ad5dbc59789f.jpg
6ce7012cd8de6235082ab5e3a517fab0.jpg

Your mystery plant looks like D. intermedia; if the seeds were not cold-treated in any way and it's that small, it's probably the tropical Cuban form. And sorry, but no, D. tokaiensis and spatulata "Fraser Island" look nothing alike to me, as I grow several forms of both species; you have tokaiensis (in flower to boot which tells me I'm not mistaking a young plant for something else), but I saw no plants resembling Fraser.

Then I got hoaxed by the selling seeds company? Oh well. Thanks for helping the ID. The seeds have not been cold stratified, no.

Your mystery plant looks like D. intermedia; if the seeds were not cold-treated in any way and it's that small, it's probably the tropical Cuban form. And sorry, but no, D. tokaiensis and spatulata "Fraser Island" look nothing alike to me, as I grow several forms of both species; you have tokaiensis (in flower to boot which tells me I'm not mistaking a young plant for something else), but I saw no plants resembling Fraser.
So you're saying these are tokaiensis, not spatulata? I had some bigger specimens at work and managed to do some pictures.
Also, it may matter their trap speed: they curled up within a few(5) minutes around the bloodworms.
062ed933f0653303d4ad27171d2c5e5d.jpg
bd3d9d848b12198603de5b2cf974f092.jpg

Mislabled plants happen from time to time in the carnivorous plant and other horticultural hobbies. It common in drosera where species differences aren't readily apparent to laypeople.

D. tokaiensis is THE most notoriously mislabeled plant, always sold as most commonly spatulata or capillaris, but has also masqueraded as pilosa, burkeana, various South American or African species, etc. If it's got spatulate leaves with tips notably wider than the rest of the petiole or lamina, short (often twisted) stalks with flowers of a bright to dark pink, and didn't come from a highly experienced grower or very specialized nursery, it's probably tokai.

D. tokaiensis is THE most notoriously mislabeled plant, always sold as most commonly spatulata or capillaris, but has also masqueraded as pilosa, burkeana, various South American or African species, etc. If it's got spatulate leaves with tips notably wider than the rest of the petiole or lamina, short (often twisted) stalks with flowers of a bright to dark pink, and didn't come from a highly experienced grower or very specialized nursery, it's probably tokai.
I have SO many tokaiensis! All those plants look great and healthy. PS what kind of moss is that in one of those pictures?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That is soo awsome man I'm trying to grow my collection. Nice and big as well I have more than acouple flower stalks on burmannii , spatulata , venusta , and capensis soo I'll have some seeds to dish out soon :D

I have SO many tokaiensis! All those plants look great and healthy. PS what kind of moss is that in one of those pictures?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Hey, sorry for the late response. The moss just grew with the peat moss. It's currently overtaking the droseras but I think they can handle it :D

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Back