Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artificially Feeding Drosera

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any issue with fungus on solid food myself other than on very small seedlings, since I grow in open air. It can definitely be a problem in an enclosed terrarium environment though. Sundews will digest 95% of betta pellets so they don't leave much behind to cause a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's OK to foliar feed Drosera but not to flush the roots with the fertilizer?

Is that only due to excess moss growth (I would actually like to get some new moss cultures going for a planted vivarium I want to start up) or is it also that their roots are super sensitive - more so than Nepenthes roots?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    So it's OK to foliar feed Drosera but not to flush the roots with the fertilizer?

Is that only due to excess moss growth (I would actually like to get some new moss cultures going for a planted vivarium I want to start up) or is it also that their roots are super sensitive - more so than Nepenthes roots?
    You would find that most Drosera strongly dislike fertilizers at their roots. I would say certainly more so than Nepenthes do. On the other hand I do know that some do get overspray on the surface of the soil with no bad results. Maybe because they flush the pots often? I avoid it, myself.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to tell, as the photos are not close up, but it does seem to appear that the leaves don't have any dew on them. And if you just got them, that is common. I'd wait to feed again until new leaves open (that have dew).
    Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some dew but they are very tiny droplets compared to the flashy photos online of big glistening red droplets.

The capensis I got at the greenhouse by the grocery store on Thursday or Friday and the adelae "giant" came by mail about 2 weeks ago.

I do almost always flush pots when I water - the Nepenthes really seem to grow faster when you do it so I will for dews as well but if they don't go for root feeding I won't do it intentionally.
    Last edited by swords; 11-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A urea free orchid fertilizer should work fine. Look for the highest NPK emphasis on NP. Maxsea is very good. You might have to experiment with concentrations. Start at quarter strength of recommended concentrations. The late great Bob Hanrahan said to use a concentration so that quick reacting Drosera such as D. capensis shows some reaction within an hour or so.

If you use ground betta pellets of fish food flakes I find it best to mist the plants lightly after feeding to aid absorption. Otherwise the "dew" gets soaked up and the glands dry out and stop functioning.

Fruit flies and Maxsea are what I use these days. Just put some fruit flies in container and into the fridge or the freezer until they stop moving. Freshly dead fruit flies work just as well if you leave them in the freezer too long.

Freeze dried flies "Anole Food" work too, but again I either wet them first or mist or moisten (eye dropper or small syringe) after applying to the leaves.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NAN I will probably try a diluted grow more misting, seems like it would be the most hassle free way to go since I already use it on almost everything else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12