What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these sundew seeds?

• Thread starter devkatie
  • Start date
Big time newbie here. On a whim I decided I wanted to try growing carnivorous plants and I bought on ebay what supposed to be a bag of mixed sundew seeds. Since ordering I've been doing research and am excited to grow them. But then what I received was a bag of seed that all looked the same and seemed larger than sundew seed I see on the web and came with no information. So I know it's might be impossible to tell but do these look like sundew seeds of some kind? Also, could you tell me what varieties are good beginner plants? Thanks.

IMG_20180107_211048185~2.jpg

No, those are not sundew seeds. You have to be very careful what you buy on eBay (and Amazon for that matter) because there are a LOT of fake seed listings.

Big time newbie here. On a whim I decided I wanted to try growing carnivorous plants and I bought on ebay what supposed to be a bag of mixed sundew seeds. Since ordering I've been doing research and am excited to grow them. But then what I received was a bag of seed that all looked the same and seemed larger than sundew seed I see on the web and came with no information. So I know it's might be impossible to tell but do these look like sundew seeds of some kind? Also, could you tell me what varieties are good beginner plants? Thanks.

View attachment 3919

If you want real Sundew seeds, I can give you some Drosera capensis seeds. It's the weed of the carnivorous kingdom. I'll give you some free if you send me an SASE.

Shoot me a PM for my mailing address.

Good growing,
Mike

As already stated those are not drosera seed. Drosera seed will generally be small, black, and almost powdery. Avoid buying seed from any ebay seller not located in the US. In fact, it is best to not buy seed from anyone on Ebay until you get some more experience. The carnivorous plant groups on facebook are a much better source for legitimate drosera seed. As for good varieties, a lot of south african species are a good place to start. Stuff like capensis, aliciae, natalensis all make good species to start from seed. However, I'd generally recommend not to start with seed as a beginner. Seed is a very slow way to get a sundew. Most seed can take a month or two to germinate and from there they will stay as small as a pinhead for a while. Generally it'll take a full year to go from germination to flower if your conditions are good. For that reason a mature plant from an online nursery is a much better choice for most beginners. All that being said if you are interested I have some D. Affinis that are flowering now and I'll have some seed ready in a month or two if you'd be interested in that species. Good luck!

Certainly not.

As already stated those are not drosera seed. Drosera seed will generally be small, black, and almost powdery. Avoid buying seed from any ebay seller not located in the US. In fact, it is best to not buy seed from anyone on Ebay until you get some more experience. The carnivorous plant groups on facebook are a much better source for legitimate drosera seed. As for good varieties, a lot of south african species are a good place to start. Stuff like capensis, aliciae, natalensis all make good species to start from seed. However, I'd generally recommend not to start with seed as a beginner. Seed is a very slow way to get a sundew. Most seed can take a month or two to germinate and from there they will stay as small as a pinhead for a while. Generally it'll take a full year to go from germination to flower if your conditions are good. For that reason a mature plant from an online nursery is a much better choice for most beginners. All that being said if you are interested I have some D. Affinis that are flowering now and I'll have some seed ready in a month or two if you'd be interested in that species. Good luck!

I figured as much. Ah well, you live and learn. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look around for your species suggestions. What are some carnivorous plant Facebook groups that are good? Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment but I would like to give growing from seed a try so if you have some extra D. Affinis seed when they're ready I'd love to give it a try. Thanks.

Last edited:
I figured as much. Ah well, you live and learn. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look around for your species suggestions. What are some carnivorous plant Facebook groups that are good? Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment but I would like to give growing from seed a try so if you have some extra D. Affinis seed when they're ready I'd love to give it a try. Thanks.

I agree with the others, those are not sundew seeds. However, it would be interesting to see what they are. If you do not want to sprout them, I'd be interested in them. Either way, I can send you some Cape Sundew leaf cuttings if you'd like. They are very easy to get plants from and quicker than seeds. Check out the website GrowSundews.com for some great info and pictures. It really helped me learn a lot about sundews and I've been referencing it for years.

Good Luck! :D

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> If I would be a crook I would heat treat the small seeds. So I could suggest the buyer is just a dumb gardener.
Usually these seeds are something edible. From this type you can buy at a cheap kilo price. Amaranthacea and Quinoa (preferable black) was normally in these bargains. This is none of the mentioned ones.
I never sold a plant, this is my hobby. I have no seeds left, the usual ones go to the compost, the more valuable ones are not for beginners and they are already gone.

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

I agree with the others, those are not sundew seeds. However, it would be interesting to see what they are. If you do not want to sprout them, I'd be interested in them. Either way, I can send you some Cape Sundew leaf cuttings if you'd like. They are very easy to get plants from and quicker than seeds. Check out the website GrowSundews.com for some great info and pictures. It really helped me learn a lot about sundews and I've been referencing it for years.

I just discovered growsundews.com a couple days ago. It is a great site. Thanks to that site my 13 yr old son and I just rinsed our peat in prep for some seeds. How can you safely ship leaf cuttings w/out them dying or freezing before they get to their location?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I just discovered growsundews.com a couple days ago. It is a great site. Thanks to that site my 13 yr old son and I just rinsed our peat in prep for some seeds. How can you safely ship leaf cuttings w/out them dying or freezing before they get to their location?

By using moist paper towels to wrap the leaf cuttings, a plastic bag to hold the moisture, and an insulated box to keep out the cold. However I'd only suggest shipping them if the temp was above freezing.

I forgot to mention I can send you some of the mystery seed of you really want to try them.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention I can send you some of the mystery seed of you really want to try them.

Sure thing, that is if you aren't going to. I'll send a PM. :D

Back