What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding pygmies?

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
So feeding a large Pygmy like scorpiodes isn't too onerous a task ... the sticky trap area isn't ridiculously small. But what about really small ones like D. pulchella? Got some gemmae from a member this past fall. (One pot sprouted well with 18 lil 'uns while the other only has 3.) some of the "large" plants are about 1cm in diameter however their traps are tiny. Doesn't seem workable to feed with bloodworms at that size. Should one even bother trying to feed them at this point? And if yes, how? Misting with a weak fertilizer solution?

I use the small fragments that you get out of a can of bloodworms, those are usually small enough. You can also crush a fish pellet and use the amount that the point of a needle can pick up.

You can use Cricket Flour for tiny baby sundews (and adult sundews, and pitcher plants).
farine-de-grillons.jpg

I've used it on sundews of all ages, and I've used it with Neps. For using with Neps (and other pitcher plants I'd guess) you have to mix it with a little distilled water, to make a thick paste. That way, it will sink in the pitcher, if it's placed inside as a dry powder, it will float and mold inside the pitcher. With sundews, it can be used dry or as a paste.

This place currently has it on sale!
https://www.thailandunique.com/cricket-flour-protein-powder

It's also a great food for raising dermestid beetles, as it provides a food source that has no foul odors.
Good Luck!

Remind me not to eat any "baked goods" coming from your place, Acro! :puke2: heh

Remind me not to eat any "baked goods" coming from your place, Acro! heh

Haven't baked anything with cricket flour yet . . . and for now, I don't have any plans on doing so. :p However, I'd be open to trying it some day, just not today.
Only reason I have cricket flour in my house, is because of the dermestid beetles I used to raise. I was saving it for a while and finally thought to try it on baby sundews . . . worked amazingly well! :) Now I feed it to my other carnivorous plants. Next time I make gel-food for my turtles, I'll try mixing it in there too.

Last edited:
I crush up fish pellets until they are small enough to put on the traps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just apply Maxsea with a tiny oil/glue applicator needle like I do with the rest of my plants. It can be done pretty quickly, though it would be easier to spray if the plants cover the pot well enough that algae isn't a concern.

I have a pot of about 10 Drosera pulchella 'Pink Flower' that are a pretty good size now (maybe around a nickel or so size?). They would be much easier to feed IMO at that size. Never fed pygmies before, but I'd like to hear the results.

I crush up a betta bite pellet and sprinkle a little of it on them.

Back