What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera doesn't have dew on it

• Thread starter severac
  • Start date
Hello,

My droseras capensis doesn't have dew drops. When I bought them, there were dews on all off them. I am watering regularly, they are on sun on the east in my house where temperature is 73 F or 23 C. I can see that new leafs are growing but they don't form hairs on which dew should be. What can cause this problem and what to do?

Thank you!

How long has it been since you got them? What sort of light/water/temperatures/humidity are they getting (how many hours of light, direct/indirect/night temps....)? They may just be adapting to your conditions. I often find that plants that come in the mail lose their dew and the leaves that lose the dew don't regain it - once they adapt and start growing properly, new leaves will dew up on their own without doing anything. I've thought plants to be almost dead before they grew just fine and even flowered a few months later.

I can't stress this enough, because I've killed plants trying to "fix" what wasn't broken. The ones that did best were the ones that got put into good conditions and were then left alone to do their thing.

If the conditions you have given them are reasonable, I'd suggest just waiting for several new leaves to form before calling lack of dew a problem.

Last edited:
Hello and thank you for your response,

I have got 4 plants in the same pot from one month ago, on one of them there is a flower. Temperature is constant due to central heating and it's 23 C. I use distilled water from the shop and I am not watering directly in the soil. I fed them with insects while they had dew and that went good as far as I can see.
Plant with a flower have red leaves, other three have green leaves.
In my part of the world now it's winter, but they have 10 hours of light every day, and if it's not cloudy, they have 6 hours of direct sun light.

That sounds to me like a light problem, but I agree with Vidyut that you might just try waiting a bit.

I'd say you'll probably see more dew as spring comes. Indoor spots often don't receive as much light as we think they do. What's bright to us is dim for plants and windows can block a significant portion of the light that comes into a house also. As spring comes and days get longer you'll likely see more dew production.

I have got 4 plants in the same pot from one month ago, on one of them there is a flower.

I'd recommend leaving them alone apart from ensuring the pots don't dry out. One month is too early to call a lack of dew a serious problem. If one plant is flowering, your conditions can't be that bad. Besides, you may wreck the happiness of the one that is doing well in trying to fix the others. After reading this, I definitely recommend doing nothing.

Capensis is a weed. If you have one flowering, you can afford it if the other three even die (not that I think they will). You'll soon have more capensis than you know what to do with. Including in pots where you didn't plant them. In the sense that you aren't at risk of not having capensis anymore and take risks due to some perceived urgency. You can afford to wait.

Temperature is constant due to central heating and it's 23 C.

This sounds reasonable. I don't know if capensis prefers a night temperature drop - mine doesn't seem to care much either way, but if they get some sun in centrally controlled temperature, they will get a slight rise while they get the sun, so some natural fluctuation will be there. One thing to consider may be that the humidity is too low, which is why they aren't dewing up quickly. So it may not be a problem at all, and with more time growing, they will adapt and have dew or they will with brighter light in coming months.

Some say to increase it with bags and such, but my experience with bags is not so happy (I live in a hot climate and any plant without ventilation is an unhappy plant here). You may want to leave some water in their tray for a slight humidity boost at best.

I use distilled water from the shop and I am not watering directly in the soil.

You could try top watering. My plants seem to like it. I avoid watering on the flowers, and maybe avoid the leaves if I am in a careful mood, but they don't really care so much. Top watering will keep your media free of dissolved gunk. But I don't think this is an issue with your plants.

I fed them with insects while they had dew and that went good as far as I can see.

Don't feed them now.

Plant with a flower have red leaves, other three have green leaves.

It seems to have adapted better than the other two.

In my part of the world now it's winter, but they have 10 hours of light every day, and if it's not cloudy, they have 6 hours of direct sun light.

This seems reasonable for the season - 10 hours of light seems on the low side in terms of duration, but 6 hours of direct sun seems good. Maybe artificial light for a couple of hours till bedtime?

Thank you for your response. I will continue to follow and to inform you. For now, new leaves are growing, thats the most important.

Thank you all.

UPDATE:

Hello, just to tell that new leaves is not well formed, they are smaller, but they have dew on it. So, I think that everything will be fine with my plants.

Back