What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis odd flowers

• Thread starter Kali
  • Start date
Hello,

I have a very healthy sundew which currently has some odd flowers. I've searched the Net and here for information but haven't found any (apologies if I've missed it here).

Atop the one flower stalk, the last 3 flowers have tentacles with dew on them. I thought at first maybe some of the seeds grew prematurely, but it looks like the sepal section itself, is a tentacle with dew.

Is this a common thing? I suppose they will die when the flower stalk dies, but could they be transplanted, do you think?

I was just kind of facinated to see this. Thanks for reading.

ETA: Took a picture to show what I'm seeing.
https://imgur.com/a/rzaTJ

Last edited:
Plants screw up flowers all the time. Last season my D. filiformis had a flower missing one of each part except the carpels, a flower with an extra of each part except the carpels, and a flower with each part doubled. This change isn't as extreme as the one you're seeing, but these things do happen.

Vegetative apomixis, reversion of the reproductive structures back to leaves; very common among Drosera, some species more than others. Just like with a regular flower stalk or leaf cutting, these can be cut and rooted as well.

Thank you both for your posts. I've done a little cursory reading on apomixis now. How neat! Now to dig a little deeper.

Cheers!

Back