What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Derbyensis seeds

• Thread starter TlC92
  • Start date
Are these Drosera Derbyensis seeds

Hey everyone!!

I was hoping for some assistance with some seeds I have purchased online. They are supposedly Drosera Derbyensis, however I am skeptical! The seeds have been in a pure live spaghnum medium for germination and within 24 hrs the seed coat has broken open and showing signs of germinating.

Based on everything I have read online this seems too fast... The seller remains adamant they are genuine, but I was wondering if someone a bit more experienced would have any idea?

The seeds are approximately 1mm diameter, and a very dark brown. I have struggled to find any pictures online of this particular seed type to compare.

Last edited:
you happen to have photos of the seed before sowing? germination does sound rather fast, but that could just mean you got super fresh seed. you'd be able to know if you have the real deal within a month.

That looks quite large for Drosera seeds... the largest Drosera seeds I have ever seen is D. stolonifera, which are around 1mm in diameter.

Unfortunately I did sow all the petiolaris dew seeds obtained from Damien a while ago, they look pretty much like regular drosera seeds (assuming athenticity), you know, like D. Burmannii. So far only one germinated, I will try to upload a pic of the seedling later today. Its funny how I cannot find a single picture of petiolaris sundew seedlings online...

Amphirion, how long does your petiolaris dew seeds usually take to germinate?

Last edited:
According to the species description, D. derbyensis seeds should be ellipsoidal (oval shaped) and about 0.2mm wide and 0.3-0.35mm long, as well as being black like pretty much all sundew seeds. Germination I would expect to take at least a month. So these do not appear to be the real thing. Where did you get them?

Thank you for the information everyone. The seeds I have are approx 1mm in diameter, if not a tiny bit smaller.

The seller advised he purchased them from a different retailer and sells them on himself. The seller is based in Italy, but the seeds came from England according to him.

He has offered to refund the money paid should they turn out to not be genuine seeds, so I guess at this stage it's just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens over the next few weeks.

Back