What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Capensis issues.

• Thread starter akessin1
  • Start date
Hey Everyone- I am having some trouble with about a two-year-old Drosera Capensis (red). For the first year and a half has been doing great, I have it in just Peat Moss/perlite in a ceramic pot. The drainage is OK, and the moss seems to be thriving. Every so often, the plant seems to look like it’s about to die. The dew dries up, The leaves look pale and slightly yellowed, And during the last stage the tips of all of the “leaves” turn black. Even the new growth coming from the center of the plant comes out with a black tip and does not fully develop. At first, I thought it was dormancy but I do not believe this species needs dormancy. I have tried both watering it, and then with holding water for a week to see if it was just “saturated” or overly-watered.

I attached a couple of pictures, for reference I will say that there is another “baby” one sprouting up from the moss and it has done great without demonstrating any of the same issues as the two older droseras

Attachments

• B835E2A7-FAE2-4989-B70B-1043D4246C39.jpg
    B835E2A7-FAE2-4989-B70B-1043D4246C39.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 8F9D178E-48F3-4453-B5C4-7E3B9BBA7E5A.jpg
    8F9D178E-48F3-4453-B5C4-7E3B9BBA7E5A.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 92
Looks like it could be a build up of minerals in the soil. Could be worth flushing the pot heavily or repotting it into fresh media.

Sounds like you need to repot the plant(s) into fresh media. Perennial plants going into decline like this is often caused by old media beginning to break down and releasing nutrients or accumulation of minerals.

I agree with NaN, give it a fresh transplant. You could even grab some root cutting while you're there if you want.

Provided it is not submerged a D. capensis isn't overwatered. If that is a red capensis it's also very short of light.

Back