What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What tropical drosera are the best clumpers does capensis clump?

I would like to now what tropical drosera clump together the best by their own roots not by leaf root cuttings or seeds i mean popbout of the ground so they are still connected can capensis do this

I haven't ever seen capensis clump via the roots but I would assume that it is capable of it, it would just be far slower than how fast it would spread by seed. Of the Drosera that do clump adelae is by far one of the fastest and most prolific. Roots that make their way out of the pot often produce new plants in the water tray. Another that spreads by the roots, but a lot slower, is madagascariensis for me. After the stem gets too tall and falls over I get at least a few new plants come up from the roots.

What about aliciae and spatulata ive heard a bit about them

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen spathulata clump before but I wouldn't be surprised if it could. Aliciae can also clump naturally too. But again, waiting for either of these to clump naturally is going to be many times slower than using their seed or doing cuttings. Adelae is the only drosera I've grown that clumps particularly quickly from its roots.

It sort of depends if you class this as clumping.

D regia.jpg

D regia 1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't ever seen capensis clump via the roots but I would assume that it is capable of it, it would just be far slower than how fast it would spread by seed. Of the Drosera that do clump adelae is by far one of the fastest and most prolific. Roots that make their way out of the pot often produce new plants in the water tray. Another that spreads by the roots, but a lot slower, is madagascariensis for me. After the stem gets too tall and falls over I get at least a few new plants come up from the roots.

DSC_0432.jpg
Yes capensis can clump from the roots. It's easy if the plant lose the aerial part a cause of really cold winter. This winter mine survived to a range of temperature from a minimum of 10.4F (-12C) in the night, to a maximum of 28.4F (-2C). My capensis was a single plant about 4 years ago, and now has several growing points.

Last edited:
Adelae, it’s hard to stop it from clumping. To really get it clumping try growing it in one of those plastic aquatic planters with holes in the side filled with LFSM, new plants will grow wherever the roots break the surface.

Nidiformis is also a great natural clumped, lovely plant.

Last edited:
D. adelae is the one that comes to my mind for fast clumping. I don't think I've ever seen D. capensis do this, as noted if the main plant dies many plants can grow from the roots but I would call that root cuttings and not necessarily clumping.

Don't know about "clumping", but both drosera capensis and binata have grown new growth points next to existing ones. This eventually results in multiple plants, of course, but it isn't very clump like to my eye.

Aliciae/curviscapa have done more plantlets over time for me.

But what comes to my mind as "clumping" happens most with my drosera andromeda and drosera adelae. The andromeda has entire plants growing under larger and older leaves at times that I start to see only because they have got too big to remain hidden. Last time I repotted the andromeda, some of the leaves were almost vertical, because there was no space for "rosette". They are also super easy to propagate without much risk. Just dig into the media and pull up a root closer to the surface and it will start forming plantlets. This happened for me accidentally (I'm not trying to propagate right now because no space, so I'd like bigger plants instead...) But they both are picky about humidity and don't like dry conditions so much. Adelae is worse than the andromeda. If your conditions are dry, I wouldn't be surprised to see the plant itself dry out, let alone forming clumps - so this may be a drawback.

Edit: Prolifera also, though I tend to kill it from too much light. Advantage with andromeda and adelae is that they are quite a bit bigger than the likes of aliciae. So they can take over quite some space from the sheer size of each plant very fast in addition to their natural inclination to take over the world.

Another plant worth considering is drosera burmanii. It is short lived and won't branch from roots or even strike cuttings at all, but a a single flowering burmanii has the capacity to cover a considerable area with burmanii, because they flower within months of germination, are self fertile, germinate fast and..... well... the result can be a carpet of burmanii in neglected pots (don't ask how I know or what happened to a batch of nepenthes I was trying to germinate)

Last edited:
Back