What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone growing drosera magnifica?

• Thread starter Vidyut
  • Start date
I'm trying to grow them. They arrived, potted them up in the best sphagnum I had... and then a whole lot of nothing happening for 2 weeks. Some leaves are drying, but looks like the usual slight die back after out of TC, shipping, new climate, etc. But no freaking idea how to grow these. There is no information that I could find on growing conditions and so on, or even any details of the climate on that slope where they grow naturally, though the altitude implies they may appreciate cooler nights. They do seem happier with our warmer climate than the picky regia, which promptly dies on me, no matter what. Happier, as in not died immediately.

Anyone know what they want? Dry side to soggy? Direct sun/partial? Preferred temps? Favorite music? Anything? I'm making things up as I go along, but so far they haven't resumed growth, though the growing tips look fine.

Hmm, I didnt think that they were possible to obtain yet.. they were discovered back in 2015 though so I guess 3 years is more than enough to grow some and sell them... Do you have any pictures? I would love to see them!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine arrived only one week ago.
I'm growing it in a 50/50 peatmoss/perlite mix.
It sits in a tray with 1/8 inch (3mm) water.
The pot is sitting on my basement floor in the coolest place I can find.
Temperatures run from 65 to 70 degrees.
I have it domed until it recovers from shipping and starts producing dew.
Lighting is Daylight LED synchronized to local dawn and dusk.

The advice I was given was, "Grow it like a capensis, just a little bit cooler."

If it does perk up and become happy, I will most likely post an update.

Good growing,
Mike

Small Drosera magnifica.jpg

I just got my order yesterday. They're looking a bit rough but hopefully they'll recover.

Some advice I was given by someone who was an early recipient of seeds and has been growing for quite a while:
- Highland temperatures are ideal. Avoid temps above 80F (27-28C)
- Use very well-draining soil, high proportions of inert material
- Do not use a water tray. Keep the soil only moist.
- Leaf, stem, and root cuttings all seem to work. Floating in water is the best method.

Mine arrived only one week ago.
I'm growing it in a 50/50 peatmoss/perlite mix.
It sits in a tray with 1/8 inch (3mm) water.
The pot is sitting on my basement floor in the coolest place I can find.
Temperatures run from 65 to 70 degrees.
I have it domed until it recovers from shipping and starts producing dew.
Lighting is Daylight LED synchronized to local dawn and dusk.

The advice I was given was, "Grow it like a capensis, just a little bit cooler."

If it does perk up and become happy, I will most likely post an update.

Good growing,
Mike

View attachment 4254
Where did you get it from?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All the magnifica you'll see around are imports from BCP or people reselling those imports for now.

I got mine from BCP too, but I don't think they are going to make it. Strangely, they did fine in the insane hot temperatures, and declined within two days after temperatures dropped after the rains began (they weren't getting rained on). Puzzled. I thought they'd be stressed by the hot weather and would perk up and begin growing when it cooled. Going to give it another shot. If these make it somehow (I don't think they will), I'll have lots of drosera magnifica, but I want to try these again. They are quite... different.

I've had mine about a month now.
So far, no collapse, and it's still looking OK.
It's slow growing but I'm in no hurry.

Good growing,
Mike

DSC07767.jpg
D. magnifica 7/18/2018

DSC07766.jpg
D. magnifica 7/18/2018

So those drosera magnifica died as expected, but I got more. The day temperatures are still over 30deg C here. Nights go down to 24 or so. They are doing.... sort of ok. The leaves they arrived with are dying off slowly, but there are new ones unfurling. But is this drosera SLOW or what.

Should have taken more pics, but here are some from when they arrived - the leaves arrived like that only but have died off more since, but slowly, not like "THIS PLANT IS DYING" yet. Will post more in a few days or when there is something worth showing. No signs of dew so far. But then no new leaf completely unfurled yet either.

DpnvrkgXcAEEGgl.jpg

Dpnvv32WkAAhdf6.jpg

DpnvzhSW4AEQOEl.jpg

One of them seems to be forming a branch(?) - there is a small green nub - too small to photograph yet. Will post updates on that too, if there is anything worth seeing.

Mine did collapse, crash, and burn.
The growth point was turning Black.
I dug it up and repotted it before it died completely.
I transplanted it into a 1:7 Peatmoss:perlite mix.
My theory (Wild Guess) is that the roots were too wet and unhappy in a 1:1 mix.
I top water it every day and try to keep it cool.
In the 2 weeks since transplant, it has recovered nicely.
You can see new growth and dew on the glands.

DSC07875.jpg

Mine isn't doing anything much other than leaves dying back and that tiny pimple like thing that will probably form an offshoot(?) branch(?). Growing tips look fine so far. One of the plants will probably die because its existing leaves have almost completely dried off and while the tip seems ok, there is very little green left now other than the stalk.

One of the smaller ones - also with the offshoot pimple - seems to be interested in unfurling leaves, but nothing so far. This is verrrrry slow. I got a batch of capensis x aliciae with these and they arrived with almost no leaves surviving and all of them have put out several leaves and are growing fine. Magnifica are just frozen in time.

What do you do with the dead leaves? I left them on initially thinking they may help protect the green parts from being too exposed and dying faster, then I got bored and cut them off one day. Made no difference either way.

Mine are growing in sphagnum because hot weather. I find sphagnum cools best - I pretty much grow everything in NZ sphagnum now other than the burmanii - they don't care. But I try to not keep the magnifica soggy and they aren't in a tray.

Edit: By hot weather, I mean will be hot weather in the coming summer, and I can't exactly repot things with changes in season. Weather now is cooler.

Last edited:
Back