What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is (d. Prolifera x d. Schizandra) x d. Adelae possible?

I would be interested in a triple hybrid of the queensland sisters because it should have extreme vigor like andromeda but more powerful. Is it possible?

Drosera aren't like nepenthes, where hybrids result in fertile offspring. Generally the result of a drosera hybrid is a sterile plant that cannot be hybridized further or self pollinated. There are exceptions for some hybrids that have become fertile and self sustaining due to polyploidy events like x tokaiensis and x hybrida. However, as far as I know 'Andromeda' is not one of those fertile hybrids.

I think it's more no one has tested it; there are a lot more fertile Drosera hybrids than most people think (D. x californica, all petiolaris complex hybrids, the natalensis/nidiformis/venusta complex crosses, spatulata complex crosses in some cases, etc.) and these are not polyploid cases.

I do happen to be growing what I believe is a nidiformis hybrid (erroneously labeled as collinsiae) that produces plenty of viable seed.

Back