What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer

• Thread starter ChefDean
  • Start date
I am getting into trying my hand at seed germination (Drosera Derbyensis, Dionaea Muscipula, and a Nepenthes hybrid) and was wondering if fertilizer would be OK for sundews after germination?
I've kept fly traps, sundews, and pitchers, I got them bare root and dormant, and used fertilizer on the traps and pitchers about every 2 weeks after sprouting and we're about half grown. The sundew was from a time before the others so didn't get fertilized. The traps didn't seem affected either way, but the pitchers actually thrived with it. I used some leftover African Violet fertilizer foam from my kids failed attempt at them.
I've read about seed germination from many different sources, including this forum site, so I feel comfortable taking on this challenge. I just want to be as nice and generous possible to my babies, if I can get them to grow, to give them the best life possible.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.
Chef

I would not. It would be more of a soil drench than a foilar spray at that size which would encourage a lot of algae. Seedling drosera would easily be swallowed up by that. I'm also not sure if african violet fertilizer would be appropriate. Best to just allow them to grow out naturally, possibly with the help of springtails as food.

I guess I should have been more clear. I wouldn't use the fertilizer on the seedlings, I know that would overwhelm them. Rather, use it in light doses after the plant was about half grown to supplement nutrients not gained from insect captures.
If this was something someone had done previously, what fertilizer worked best for them? Or is it the general consensus from those with more experience than I to forego any supplemental fertilizer?
Chef

Back