What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings/pullings

• Thread starter ChefDean
  • Start date
Good morning from Tennessee.
Maybe I haven't looked hard enough to find this info, but I was wondering how long it might take to see results from Cape cuttings/pullings? Or if I'm even barking up the wrong tree with this?
I recently received three Cape Alba's and, as the leaves in shock began to turn black, I would trim them off. Some of these I caught early, where only the end was turning, so I trimmed the end off and put some of the trimmings down in the moss. A couple of them I was able to brace the plant and gently pull the tentacle down and off. I even floated one very good looking specimen in the tray.
Granted that they have only been off the plant for about a week and a half, and I know I should not expect any results yet, but I'm just curious how long I should wait for results before I quit waiting for them?
Thanks,
Chef

Drosera leaves can last for more than a month, easily, floating in water. I also find that you can expect to wait a few weeks at least before seeing any strikes.

Does it make a difference if the parent plant is coming out of shock from uprooting, shipping, and repotting?
It would be cool to get healthy strikes under these conditions, I just don't want to get my hopes up if the chances are slim due to the parent being under stress itself.
Chef

The healthier the leaf the greater your likelihood of successful propagation. Mainly because the longer the leaf stays alive the more the changes of plantlets forming.

With Drosera capensis if the roots are even in the modicum of good health you could probably just lop off all the leaves and it regrow from the root in a few weeks.

I probably have plenty of white flowered D. capensis to spare. I normally just throw them out when I repot my Sarracenia. They're all over the place. If none of your plants survive shoot me a PM and I'll send you a couple.

I probably have plenty of white flowered D. capensis to spare. I normally just throw them out when I repot my Sarracenia. They're all over the place. If none of your plants survive shoot me a PM and I'll send you a couple.

I appreciate the offer, I'll keep that in mind.
However, of the 3 Cape Alba's I have, 1 is rebounding great, it had the longest roots and is definitely drinking (it's the one most of the cuttings/pullings have come from). 1 is still kinda in limbo and had the second longest roots so is still drinking some. The third is still green, but had roots only about half as long as the first so it may just take a little longer, but is still staying moist.
Plus I have some seeds sown, various 'dews, and more seeds on the way.
I have some good germination, but it's my first try at seeds. If I fail at seeds then I may contact you.
Thanks for the info, and an especially big thank you for the offer.
Chef

So the site won't let me upload a pic, but I have a strike on one of my pullings. It's about 5 mm long, so was likely budding about the time of the original post.
Pretty stoked about it.
Chef

Back