What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my first ever sundew is suffering please assist!

• Thread starter gangewifre
  • Start date
acquired this drosera binata less than a week ago--noticed that one branch was ailing and expected it to die, which it did. chopped it off (bad idea?) only to notice additional black gunk spreading to other branches and stripping them of dew. what is this/what can i do? she's in the kitchen, in a tray of water, near a window. thank you for any help you can provide!

IMG_8048.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8031.jpg
    IMG_8031.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 50
If you just got it a week ago everything is fine, it's just adjusting. It'll be normal for a few leaves to die off during this time. If it eases your mind you can cut off one of the healthy leaves and float it on water. In a few weeks this will sprout new plants that can act as a backup to your main plant.

If you just got it a week ago everything is fine, it's just adjusting. It'll be normal for a few leaves to die off during this time. If it eases your mind you can cut off one of the healthy leaves and float it on water. In a few weeks this will sprout new plants that can act as a backup to your main plant.

thanks for the cutting off suggestion -- i didn't get her in the mail, if that makes a difference. i'm preeeetty sure there's something wrong beyond just dying off from stress but i'm also new & paranoid so...

Nah, nothing to worry about. Drosera leaves will blacken and shrivel like that when they die off. Even when not sent through the mail it will still be a change to be put into a new grow area. Binata is a very tough plant and it would be difficult to actually kill it.

Back